Metropolitan tsuba update

Spartancrest

Several months ago I released a two volume book "Public Domain Tsuba in the Metropolitan Museum" - within that book there is an unusual example of a Kawari-gata guard that appeared to have originally had a maru rim, now removed. I have just come across the full example for comparison. You can clearly see they are the same design and the 85mm example has a fairly robust rim [mimi]. The Museums example though decorative would be impractical for use, the finer elements being easily cut off and a risk of catching on any lose clothing.

kawari gatta.jpg

metro add rim.jpg

• Like 4

FWIW, those are lantern flowers I believe.  I have a piece with that theme (the fun part is that the nunome is created completely with lacquer, including the crosshatching):

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

Richard, yes they are Chinese lantern plants [Physalis alkekengi] They belong to the nightshade family, the bright red fruit is edible and very high in vitamin C - However the rest of the plant is toxic. They are related to the Cape Gooseberry [Physalis peruviana] which are almost identical except for the golden yellow colour of the ripe fruit. I have grown Cape gooseberry for years and can testify they are very good eating - they grow prolifically and set seed very easy - full sun in good soil they form a low bush and are an annual in temperate regions and a perennial in the tropics. 

If you haven't tried one you should grow one just for fun. I wonder why they were used as decoration on a sword-guard? Was it as a food plant or because they do look like tiny Chinese paper lanterns?

I should note the example of the first post from Natura/BUY describes the design as Aoi flowers which is clearly wrong.

static.wixstatic.com/media/6ec3b9_3287d796a3e94...Garden to Table: Cape Gooseberries - Gardenista

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..