Frayed ito repair

Looking for some advice on how to shore-up some ito that is starting to fray and cause the menuki to become loose. Unfortunately one strand has already broken off and of course, I am worried that it will start to unravel completely. About the only technique that I could find online (tameshigiri.com) was: 

“Loose Tsuka-ito:
You can extend the life of your handle wrap by impregnating it with glue. This is a fairly effective technique that does not seriously "uglify" the tsuka. Do not wait until the ito is completely frayed or just hanging in there by a few threads. This fix works best on a handle wrap that is loose but mostly intact. Use a good quality carpenter's (yellow) glue and use your finger to carefully work the glue into the ito until it is saturated. You may need to do multiple applications but make sure to let each layer dry overnight. Being extra careful during the application will give you a superior looking tsuka that will not look much different. The tsuka may feel "sticky" the first few times you use it and some excess dried glue may come off on your hands. This is only temporary and goes away qickly.” 

Also from tameshigiri.com, there is a description on cleaning the ito wrap:

“Cleaning the Handle Wrap (Courtesy of Paul Smith):

Take some woolite in a dish and a soft toothbrush. Wet the toothbrush and touch it to the woolite. Gently scrub the ito until it's clean. You'll have to get more water on the toothbrush and more woolite periodically. Once you are done scrubbing, take a wet cloth and wipe down the ito several times, then take a dry cloth and wrap around the handle and squeeze it to get excess moisture out of the ito. Let dry for at least 24 hours before using. Don't scrub too hard because that will roughen the silk. You do want to work quickly, but as long as the water doesn't sit on the tsuka for hours, it won't hurt anything. Do not get any water down inside the tsuka. It is obviously much easier to do this with the tsuka off of the nakago if you can remove it.”

If you have ever attempted either of these or something similar please share your experience.  I know that sometimes things are better left well enough alone and after starting something like this, maybe you wished that you wouldn’t have. Any thoughts, good, bad, or indifferent would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot. 

Justin

3D025507-F3E6-4630-8752-D0BB75D008CF.jpeg

C1DB3680-FB2C-4A31-9B68-B77D0C4E8FC1.jpeg

Yes JP. The same effect is woodglue mixed with water (thin). And took the fluff of the ito over the stiches. If you make it carefully you see nothing from the repair. But it is only for display not for use or handle around with the tsuka.

You fellas fast with your replies. I appreciate it.

Chris - Would you have any photos of examples. I’m struggling to picture how that looks and/or the technique to pass the needle through the ito to negotiate around the menuki.

Jean - I like the sound of stop fray, rather than carpenters glue for this issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..