Japanese military matchlock signature

I am trying to translate or identify this signature somehow it is from the bottom of the barrel near the trigger end.  Any info would be appreciated.  I believe it is late 18th century it is 54” length 5/8” bore.   I can track it back to it be purchased at an auction in the Chicago area between 1930-1955 by a wealthy industrialist.

9C082A3A-3376-464F-8077-A4D6BEC4CCDE.jpeg

EE0EED8B-8C12-409D-AB9D-131C9D9E0F58.jpeg

2A840E23-3C7C-4286-A095-51E2E872EA58.jpeg

EE0EE74A-B019-4428-B660-12172436AA98.jpeg

5D3EC1BF-DB20-497A-8117-2E24DC5C814E.jpeg

B3611F2F-DB67-4EA3-8A13-4DC13424E68A.jpeg

89D7F91E-9C03-4475-9895-B298A9291948.jpeg

1297DC50-9928-455B-ADFC-C1677FB3CBA7.jpeg

B507058D-17DA-454C-82F2-D4C40DFA9CBA.jpeg

Hello, your name is not appearing so forgive me.

Your gun was made by one of the famous Wada smiths from Hino in Gō-Shu.(Ōmi, east of Lake Biwa.) I can’t quite see the bottom Individual smith name just yet but that is not necessarily a problem.

州江日野和田... Go Shu Hino Wada ...

My name is Matthew Fitzgerald — thank you so much, does the signature look original to you?  Someone is questioning it.  I removed barrel and had to take toothbrush to it to remove some dirt and then wetted to make more visible.  Do you have any info on this person?  Specifically when he lived -for dating purposes.

Thanks again!

matt

The Mei is very poorly written, Matthew, I agree. I cannot see any benefit to adding a Mei, though, and the butt decorations are consistent with Hino. The Wada were the last of the Hino gunsmiths and went out of business around 1840 or 1850. Sadly I cannot see this being worth a lot of money, especially in this state.

I just found this matchlock up for sale online.

Asking price you might ask? Well, a cool $25.000 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Not so cool is that screen shots from this forum, ended up on the same sale page.

When you thought you seen it all...

Jan

First I would like to apologize for any breach of protocol, as is painfully obvious this is my first foray into Japanese matchlocks.  I will take down any mention of the message board.  I was assuming any potential buyer would want an expert opinion like that of Bugyotsuji’s .   If anyone is interested in the item please reach out to me at 717 512 5775 I would prefer someone who understands and appreciates the history become the next owner.  Best wishes and once again I sincerely apologize.  Matt

1 hour ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Thanks, Brian, now I get you!

Your particular smith is listed, Justin.
近州日野住人和田太夫造之

Are there any marks on the facet to the left or right of that one?

That is all there is, no other marks or registration marks from the later attempt to get them registered. Your book must be an updated version Piers. The copy you sent me forever ago does not have him listed, I believe.  I am assuming he was a late Edo smith.

Jan, I would be happy to.. It's not a particularly interesting item, and has stock damage and repair. But it was my first purchase, so I've kept it.

Justin, each time I look, his name disappears again, but it should be there, right after the 12th generation, i.e. a little further down than you might expect. He sometimes wrote the 治 as 次 apparently.

You'd expect his name to be top of the group, having no further personal name like that. His late name placing though breaks my concept of dating by name, so I have had to restructure my clunky old ideas a little.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..