Arrow

Grev I think that is Yanagi Ba. 

Usually has those elaborate saw cut patterns. Mostly associated with the momoyama period to EDO. 

These create a whistling sound. 

I'll be offering a set of fifteen war and hunting arrowheads in a box frame soon. 

Little info. 

Japanese arrows that curved to the left are known as Haya or first arrows while those that curved to the right are second arrows and are known as Otoya. Each of these has its purpose because Haya rotates clockwise while Otoya rotates counter clockwise.War Arrows are referred to as Soya or Seisen. However, arrows for fighting are referred to as Shuraya whereas those used in the battlefield are referred to Senjonoya. As for the parts of these arrows here they are: No is made out of bamboo that has different shapes. Typically these are from the Kanto area of Japan since it has a moderate climate. Fletching refers to the outermost tail feathers of large birds of prey. Nock or Hazu are made from goat or deer horn. These have bamboo nocks. Arrowheads are made for target practice with a cone shape iron tip.

Yes it could well be a modern one

The file marks on the tang look a bit naff but still an impressive item

I think the tone of reply helps the poster

Brian didn't say it was modern but it may be worth checking out

If a reply came back with something like 'its a modern copy or rubbish then that can be antagonistic

For me I don't care what replies I get to have an idea which members are knowledgeable and those that throw grenades and step back

This is not directed at you Adam ask we have had a few conversations that have been conducted in a friendly manner

Just my observations

• Like 1

I Was just kidding Grev. 

It's still called Yanagi-ba in that style also known as the willow leaf Ya-none.

They whistle when released.

The curved or Y shaped ones, Karimata ,we often see (people think are rope cutters) are actually for battle or hunting large game.

They are designed to rotate either left or right as they fly through the air. Termed Haya and Otoya.

Haya rotates clockwise.

Otoya Counter.

Hi!

This is not a "whisling arrow" or kabura Ya (transl to turnip headed arrow).

Kabura ya are generally made of wood or deer horn, carved in a way that the whistling sound was created. They doesn't resemble this arrow head at all.

This is a copy of a presentation arrow. The most beautiful ones are from the Umetada school. This one is not made to use.

I have a presentation arrow, somewhat smaller than this one where there are fletched with four sets of feathers so the arrow will go straigt without the normal haya or otoya rotation.

Anthony

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..