Sugata help.

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can give an indication of period based on the sugata of this sword. 

It's 70cm approx. 

It's hamon is obscured but I can see a midare based on suguba. 

Thank you Adam 

_20200814_165759.JPG

_20200814_165726.JPG

_20200814_165831.JPG

_20200814_165849.JPG

I'm not entirely sure, which is why I posted it. I know what it's trying to be but something about it doesn't feel right for its period .

I promise it's not a trick question.

So many could date by sugata alone the rusty sword for Steve, I thought you might with this one as well.

It might be better to say ..  has anyone had any experience if welded nakago and perhaps visual reference?

Not the silly attempts more the "hard to tell " jobs.?

Your nakago, machi etc are far too dark on my screen and just a blur. Plus the angle is not easy to get a good idea of. It doesn't give any "hmm...interesting" feeling to me, like something outstanding. Could be wrong...frequently am.

At first glance the shape looked like sue-Bizen but the Nakago looks reshaped and extended for that period, the Mekugi ana is also placed in the wrong area for sue Bizen (pictures could be better). Muromachi maybe?

• Like 1

The suggestion is MAS366 so Soshu Masakiyo.

Agreed Muromachi is what it's trying to be.

I don't know what that crack indicates on the nakago though . Has it been welded?

The pockmarks suggest it might have.

I'll try tomorrow in daylight Ray. 

Might get a little better but restricted to my phone for images. 

You won't see much if anything of the detail as it's in need of a polish. Even I cannot see much beyond the Nakahodo and monouchi. 

Thanks JP.

Really difficult call.

Number two looks like it's corroded along the line of the base of the habaki.

Much like mine in that respect.

Three is a very hard call.

I'm inclined to think this is natural corrosion. Just follows an unusual line.

Thank you for the references.

• Like 1

If you have access to someone who is a metallurgist with a lab (scarce I know), they could take a small sample of metal from both sides of the suspected weld and see if the composition matches up. If it doesn't, its obviously a weld. If it does, then it possibly may still be or not. Either way, I bet a good metallurgist could tell you if it was welded based on the hardness of the metal in that area. Welds have a different hardness than the metal around them usually. (Usually softer so the weld can flex and not break).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..