Helping an older gent

Shamsy

Hello all,

By chance I met a gentleman who collected a lot of odds and ends as a youngster. One of these items was a Japanese sword. I mentioned that I know a great bunch of people who may be able to provide some additional information about it.

To me, it looks like a suriage tachi. The measurements provided; the sword is exactly 750mm overall and the tang is 152mm and 29mm wide.

Not a lot of rust on the nakago. It has a lovely looking tsuba and the remains of what was also likely a lovely saya, though sadly the lacquer is badly damaged.

I'm sure I could get more photos if necessary, but there are no nakago markings sadly.

As always, thank you to all our wonderfully knowledgeable members for their ongoing patience and assistance. 

P1000155.jpeg

P1000154.jpeg

P1000157.jpeg

P1000156.jpeg

P1000159.jpeg

P1000158.jpeg

P1000153.jpeg

P1000160.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

There's something about the sugata that bothers me, Steve, but I can't put my finger on it (after 1/2 bottle of tasty Australian Shiraz). Does the blade fit in that saya?

Hi Ken,

Confirmed that the blade fits the saya nicely. Smooth in and out, snug but not overly tight.

I agree with Robert S. (Surfson) as the sword being Kanbun era. This is one of my swords which is very similar, not only in a extremely shallow sori, but notice the saya has a swirl pattern also. Even though the saya appears to have more curvature as in Steve's friends sword, mine and I suspect his fit quite nicely.

Dave M.

20200814_082809.jpg

20200814_082839 (2).jpg

20200814_083118.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Dave. I was prompted to do a little reading now that there are two suggestions about the period of forging. It fits pretty well. Your sword does best a number of similarities too, though I had thought the sword in question looked suriage. 

Kanbun-Shinto period (1658 -1683)

In this period, the centers of swordmaking were Edo and Osaka, and a new style of sword appeared. This sword has extremely little sori. 
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..