FS:Muramasa wakizashi sword

equ

Up for sale is an exceedingly rare and highly collectible Muramasa wakizashi sword with NBTHK authentication, this is a uniquely rare beauty sword.
These are one of the most collectible of all sword as it does rarely comes up for sale but unfortunately have to put it up to go to a new home.
The blade is signed Muramasa and the sword is in excellent condition, Muramasa blade in Shirasaya mountings.
The cutting edge is unbelievably sharp as this is by far the sharpest. 
More on the sword condition: forging grain, no openings, no blister, no forging flaws, no bend, no nick and no crack.
Blade has all of the characteristics you would expect to see with the Muramasa blade and The blade is unconditionally guaranteed to not have any fatal flaws and/or hagire.
Overall a rare and desirable wakizashi

Asking price for this sword is USD$12500 but I'm Open to reasonable offers.

For all inquiries, contact me via PM or email
equipments at protonmail dot com

Thanks for looking!

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

• Downvote 1

Wow. Where to start.....

You aren’t going to sell a $12k sword here without at least an intro and details such as where you are and decent references. 
With a description straight from Showa22 I think, and old papers, we really expect more effort. Why wasn’t it submitted for new papers?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This blade started it's journey some time ago on nihonto.com.au

Has been listed several times on ebay...

And has been sold for 8000 USD the last time...

Was discussed repeatedly on the message board...

All together: doubtful mei, not "typical" hamon, "old" papers...

I would be interested in the attribution the N(B)THK would give if the mei is removed ;)

Best

• Like 1

Concerning the "interest":

I "tried" to buy this blade some months ago as a gimei blade.

If I would have been successful, I would have had a try for new papers - but seriously I wouldn't have had hope to get them.

If it had failed, I would have kept the blade as a healthy nice wakizashi as a gimei example or would have removed the mei and would have had another try.

It happened in the past, that after removing the (gi)mei the blade was attributed to the smith the blade was signed before...

Would have been an interesting project :)

Why didn't it work?

Because the previous owner didn't accept my offer (about 4000 USD - very generous for an expected gimei I think ;))

Since I have now answered this question, although the answer was obvious before, I want to see my commentary as what it is... just some thoughts on the sellers post :)

26 minutes ago, parfaitelumiere said:

Put some wax or resin on the mei area, leaving all the characteristics visible except the mei, the material could be removed using solvant or alchool.
Then you send to be submitted again, saying not to remove the resin or material you added.

Did you try this procedure before?

12 hours ago, Kawa said:

Well if the mods made certain fields mandatory (esp measurements in writing and translations on papers) this would be a lot more honest

Ray,
Mainly because of the spinal surgery, I am unable to sit at the pc for longer than 2-3 minutes and I type with one hand on the table stopping the back from compressing. So when I am fit again, I'll get that done. Even this post took 10 minutes

Could I ask if it were normal to respond to an advert for a $12500 item to an encrypted untraceable mailbox in Switzerland ? 

For $12500 I'd want a face to face to inspect the item pre purchase . No matter how genuine the seller might appear once your moneys transfered your on your own. If you wanted to return it, even if it did arrive, where might you stand enforcing this? 

Just curious really. 

On 8/13/2020 at 4:17 AM, Brian said:

Ray,
Mainly because of the spinal surgery, I am unable to sit at the pc for longer than 2-3 minutes and I type with one hand on the table stopping the back from compressing. So when I am fit again, I'll get that done. Even this post took 10 minutes

Brian, I am curious, do you have a smartphone?  If so, I'd strongly suggest using speech-to-text to reply to posts.  It might change your life for the near future!  Thank you so much for everything you do.  I hate the thought of you suffering :(

• Like 4

1 hour ago, parfaitelumiere said:

I put some warnish on copper for partial gold plating, easy to remove, no damage.
You can find something thick enough, or even cut a board shape and put in place using nail warnish or so, this way all will be easy to remove.
I can make attempt on one blade and let you know.

I’d be interesting in seeing that because I don’t quite understand the process

You can't just varnish away a mei and assume the NBHTK will look elsewhere and return a papered sword. Imagine what happens when you remove your varnish: sword is both mumei (on paper) and zai (in reality). I don't know where this idea comes from but it's one that needs to go straight to the dustbin. 

As for this gimei sword, if someone studies the post history of the owner, I'm not even convinced its a real person. Not clear what's going on here, but I have a feeling the fraudulent scheme extends beyond the gimei + green paper combo. 

• Like 4

On 8/14/2020 at 8:52 PM, Babu said:

Could I ask if it were normal to respond to an advert for a $12500 item to an encrypted untraceable mailbox in Switzerland ? 

As I said here it's not quite in my comfort zone deal wise albeit I'm not historically good at deals anyway 😒

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..