Gendaito by Ishido Teruhide

Alex A

For those in the know, this smith needs no introduction, for those that dont know http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/teruhide.htm

He made medium to high grade blades, this one shows very good quality and consistency when compared to some others.

Signed Teruhide.

The blade is in a new shirasaya, i did not want to leave it in the old mounts.

The sword is in its original ww2 polish, which some collectors prefer. Buying over the internet can be difficult and i assumed it may need polish but when it arrived i was happy to leave it the way it is. The hamon is clearly visible and the sword can be appreciated as it is. The jigane is a TIGHT muji hada and as you know they are not easy to make out even when polished.

Typical powerful sugata with Gunome/choji Bizen style hamon which is done very well

Nagasa 66cm with quite shallow sori, as one would expect.

Moto-haba 3.1cm

Kasane 0.7cm

Condition wise, the blade has no forging flaws and according to the saya maker, very straight. Its thick and would no doubt take a polish should any new buyer wish to go down that route. There are some small marks here and there that would all polish out but would it be worth taking steel off the blade, for me now, no. As mentioned, this sword was used in ww2 and has been in those mounts ever since. The blade is very good, the nakago came with some active surface rust which i have since stabilised by rubbing it over with a rag and some oil, hence the new shirasaya. 

The sword comes with its original ww2 mounts which are as found and in reasonably good condition. The catch is on its last legs but they can be fixed and its all held together by a tsunagi. These mounts were used during ww2, not by some pen pusher back at HQ (as J rambo would say). There is an original combat cover which as you can see has seen better days, but part of its history so ive left it alone. I dont know much about these fittings but i think they are all original. There are numbers on the 8! seppa (4 each side) that match, from memory. Tsuka wrap is tight, nothing loose

I will add picks and info as i go, been a busy few hours. Excuse my photography, will have a look for some good ones. If your on watsapp i can send you more pics or a video, the sword looks much better in hand though

£3250, buyer covers fees, contact me for a shipping quote. here or alex.aspinall@sky.com

P1060221.JPG

P1060227.JPG

P1060222.JPG

P1060223.JPG

P1060224.JPG

P1060225.JPG

P1060230.JPG

P1060236.JPG

P1060247.JPG

P1060246.JPG

P1060248.JPG

P1060249.JPG

P1060250.JPG

P1060252.JPG

CA668BC2-65AA-49F7-80AF-F8A851E1D9D2.jpeg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..