Unknown signatures and reference books.

Worfieldlg

Hello all,

I have a signed kogatana and Fuchi plus a kojiri I believe is signed in gold? I’m having trouble identifying. I don’t have a large database of books to use for reference and I was hoping someone might help identify these makers? I’m sure these questions become a regular situation on this website but I’m not sure where else I can ask.

As I am hoping to learn as much as I can I would prefer not to need to ask people for regular help in these matters and would like to start building a collection of reference books my self. It would also be much appreciated if anyone could give me some good books to start with for makers and signatures? 

I apologise for my ignorance and any help would be much appreciated.

Luke

AFFCE950-AB16-43E5-976B-8BAAAC1D5A4A.jpeg

8454DD9D-47C3-40F1-B731-F0594302391B.jpeg

5D6B348A-5AA0-4C1F-867A-DA4331927F1C.jpeg

Dear Luke.

Well, there ya go!  As to the kojiri the gold mark is a kakihan, roughly a stylised mark rather than a signature per se.  I am sure others will add to this but you might find, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shosankenshu-Jolys-Kakihan-Collected-Mounts/dp/B0015HYW06  a useful starting place.

If you feel inclined I am sure we would all like to see some photographs of the whole pieces?

All the best.

As Steve suggests, the reading of 政随 for the founder of the Hamano school is Shōzui, but be aware that his mei is widely copied. I've attached the reference from Sesko's Signatures for you to compare

1shozui.thumb.jpg.7d2747df079eb9f0735356a55ae3c410.jpg.

I have also had a look through my copy of Joly's Kakihan, which Geraint recommended, for Shōzui, but it doesn't match the kao on your kashira

001.thumb.JPG.948b21e884ebe246a726b3270cf5fcb6.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you all so much. You have all been so helpful and I can go on to do more research. I have purchased the book suggested and more I have found related on the subject.

I know many people use this website to get quick information but it can be so difficult if you don’t have much information or experience. I will be doing my best to build a library and not need to ask so much in future. Thanks again all. 

luke 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..