Chase in the clouds

thutson

Hello,

I recently acquired this lovely kinko tsuba from Grey Doffin. The front depicts a chase in the clouds between a Samurai and a Demon that has stolen a treasure and the back the Samurai has caught the Demon and taken the treasure back. I was wondering if anyone has information about the folk tale depicted and any ideas which school it might be from?

Tom

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-06 at 19.14.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-06 at 19.14.23 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-07 at 19.15.27 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-07 at 19.15.27 (5).jpeg

IMG_2069.JPG

• Like 2

Bishamonten is the god of warriors and punisher of evildoers.  He is one of the shichifukujin (Seven Gods of Fortune) and is often portrayed with a yari or baton in one hand and a Stupa (a small pagoda which represents the treasure house that he guards) in the other hand.  Japanese artists sometimes humorously depict Bishamon with an Oni (demon) who has stolen his pagoda.

Bishamonten.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is in the style of the Gotō schools. I've seen similar designs papered, but I cannot say it is mainline. I wouldn't be dissatisfied if I owned it, but I'm not seeing a masters works either. 

Remember condition might affect a view and that this is just my view and I might be considered critical of Gotō. We see some truly excellent works on here from time to time ishiguro, nara, hamano etc, but people's appreciation is always going to be subjective based on their taste. 

I like it though. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information on the tale George, I like the cheeky expression on the Oni's face. Thanks for your input on the school Adam, I was also thinking the style looks like the Goto schools but I hadn't seen a design like this before, I'm very happy with it, it's looks well done with a humorous subject.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..