Help identifying a Wakizashi (at least I think it is)

I unfortunately once again don't have many pictures of this, but here's what I do have.  It was brought back to the US from Japan by my grandfather after WWII.  Overall length, if memory serves, was about 24-28"  Here are the only pics I currently have of it, but hope to have more soon (This lives several hours away from me).  Also, i'm limited to 6.84MB of files per post, so imgur will have to do.  https://imgur.com/a/rLVsD7L

IMG_20200704_214259.jpg

That's a much earlier blade that's been cut down but not enough to lose the mei. (Suriage) also Machi okuri (had the habaki later moved up to shorten the sword again.)

It's kuniyuki I believe 

Possibly Kun1898

Takada school 1661-1673

Known for his blades sharpness

fujishiro Chu jo Saku 

Hawleys 15.

This is a long shot as I've seen nothing but the Nakago. 

Tsuba is civilian not gunto. 

Also could be an earlier kuniyuki need to see the whole blade without the habaki on it. Both sides for sugata.(shape) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All blades are identified by their nagasa, Mike, which is the distance from the tip to the machi notch. Without being exact, a tanto is 12 inches (30.5 cm) or less, a wakizashi is between 12-24 inches, & anything longer is a katana. I'm sure someone is going to nit-pick, but this will do for the moment.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2020 at 5:24 PM, Babu said:

Takada school 1661-1673

This is a long shot as I've seen nothing but the Nakago. 

Are you telling me this might be 300+ years old?  Whoa...

Also I'm not sure if you saw the link but there are a few more pictures of the koshirae and part of the saya here: https://imgur.com/a/rLVsD7L

Hopefully I'll have a chance to get more pics of it soon, especially now that I know what to look for.

Thank you!

This may be a good first study piece. Mike, as it's part of your family history. But, from what's visible, it's not a collector's item. The early Kamakura blades have been around for nearly 1,000 years, some of them looking like they were forged yesterday.

And please be aware that Adam's identification is based solely on the mei. Considering that the vast majority of signed blades are gimei (fake), take a long, hard look at the blade's other features, to see if they support his finding. But, the only way to be more certain of its provenance is to send it to shinsa, where you will get their opinion, & possibly authentication papers.

• Like 2

Gotcha, thanks Ken.  Totally agree Chris, it's an incredible concept in this age of consumerism and wastefulness.  And I'd posit that the culture existS, not existED, thanks in part to this forum :)

I guess I just expected everything he (grandpa) brought back would've been wartime-made.  All the history behind these is just so interesting - how they get passed down generation to generation, how the soldiers had to buy their own swords (or use the family sword?) I've been reading so much but then I've only been doing so for a month.  It's like peeling an onion; layer after layer of amazing things to discover. 

Thank you all again.  More pics of everything to come within a month, I hope!

• Like 1

Noted in your pictures that in the wooden box in the background you have a Showa Gunto and what looks like another sword and lots of bits.

The menuki on your sword are missing and the wrap has been redone or just wrapped around.

Yes Ken, maybe I wasn't clear enough sorry .

Mike, Based on the mei it could be that Smith, but I'm not saying it is, as many swords were signed later to improve the value or meet specific demands. .

The assumption is it's the original mei but even that's not guaranteed.

I think as suggested take photos of both sides of the blade with it on a towel flat on the ground .

Let us see those other swords. One at least looks Like it could be WWII

Hey Adam, I actually have another thread (http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/32831-grandpas-wwii-cache/?do=findComment&comment=340033) with a link to more pics (still limited by the 6.84MB cap or i'd put the pics directly here) - https://imgur.com/a/zSkLM62

It's been a month since I've been near these, but i'm hopefully taking a trip back within the next month to take many more pictures.  I'm a doofus and forgot to actually get pics of anything with the saya off

Dave, unfortunately they have been largely untouched these last 70+ years.  I remember getting them out as a family once when I was younger; this past 4th of July holiday was the 2nd time seeing them in my lifetime (Grandpa died last summer and left each of his grandsons a sword)  Now that I'm learning the basics of caring for them, I'm making it a point to ensure their longevity.  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..