Best Place to Buy My First Nihonto?

I've been browsing eBay and other auction sites, but they seem absolutely riddled with fakes, or they're blurring lines / not taking as detailed pictures to really be able to tell whether a piece is real.  Does anyone have a trusted source or any advice in buying my first Nihonto?  I have a budget in mind, probably too low to get anything of substantial quality, but don't want to gamble on something that might be garbage.  Maybe my money is better spent on books to start.  

What JP said! Here or any of the above sites are ideal and very welcoming to newcomers to the hobby. Welcome to the NMB!

And you are correct, books would be the wisest way to start so you can avoid an expensive mistake. eBay is a bit like the Wild West, an extreme case of caveat emptor.

• Like 2

Yes, definitely books, as studying will get you a lot more for your budget. Everyone is anxious for his/her first blade, & we've all been there. But, eBay is not for the inexperienced.

Hmm, we've lost your first name, it seems. Guess you'll have to re-enter it in your profile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babu said:

Nothing wrong with a good wakizashi or tanto.

Couldn't agree more! I love the idea of someday having my own daisho.  (Is there a term for a matched katana/tachi + wakizashi + tanto? (tri-sho?(lol)))

Mark, that sounds fantastic!  I'll shoot you an email soon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..