NCO Shin Gunto WW2 - question mark

Erwin

Hi to all

Recently came across the NCO type 95 as shown in the attachment pictures. 

Although the marking points to a Nagoya Arsenal Kokura version, there is something strange on the connection of the tsuka. Only the blade has the classification production number, not the saya. Done my best to find a reference with the same front mounting and I read about prototypes being made that served as references for production on other locations. 
Could also be just an imitation and plane fake. 

does this look familiar to anyone?

Thank you and best regards

Erwin

7993DA34-01DF-4E54-A98D-6143CDC43F14.jpeg

AF4851CC-1EB3-4134-B8ED-1075536E003F.jpeg

FAD1EEEF-BD07-4464-A305-579D32F5D1EF.jpeg

28D85269-297E-4B46-BECD-E2F708AD6B20.jpeg

211BD53B-0BE0-4005-94E9-FD267856175C.jpeg

The sword looks okay at first glance. Some pretty awful pictures though; perspective distorted, low res, missing key details like the tsuba, blade bohi... The retaining screws are not right, looks to be a replacement on the lower screw and the top screw has something jammed through the hole where the sarute would go? The saya looks weird but may be the terrible perspective of the photo distorting dimensions of the drag. I think it looks alright for the most part. I don't know what you mean with the connection being off? It has the correct 'not mirroring' ito pattern for early Gifu sword, with that sort of 'pushed' look where the front lower retention screw passes through the ito. I can barely read the blade numbers... they should be pretty low as these ito patterns were a brief flash in the earliest range of Gifu production.

Missing saya numbers are an issue. Almost certainly ground down and repainted. They can be legitimately missing but that is extremely unlikely in this case. 

It has real parts with genuine patina, so likely all is real, with minor replacements like the screws.

Shamsy is spot on with the pictures, they are very poor. Can you get better pics to show us?

From the pics you have shown,   i'm with Trystan on this one,

It looks to be genuine handle on Chinese blade and scabbard.

Check the drag for serial numbers, if it's chinese, they should be there.

Thank you all for your input, extremely helpful.

I was most set off by the replacement of the retention screws, looks indeed like a replacement of some kind. 

Reason for asking is that it is for sale and I am still missing this Initial type NCO but will pass on this one. 

best regards and thank you

Erwin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..