Whats the Value of this sword group?

Colin,

Welcome! I can't speak to the flag, but the sword is a Type 95 NCO gunto. The blade is in really nice shape and the serial numbers match. COVID has really messed with market prices, so for now, the NCO's are selling from $750-1,000. I'd put yours toward the higher end of the range.

Thank You. Does the scabbard missing paint affect the value at all? And is that price just for the sword? Are you counting in the other stuff?

The value would be affected more if the blade had damage, so I wouldn't worry too much about the saya.

As for Bruce I'm sure he doesn't mind me speaking on his behalf, he is only speaking for the blade. Militaria is worth as much as somebody is willing to pay and it's very hard to quantify it. Things like provenance add value when it's during an important battle or area.

• Like 1

Colin,

The condition of the paint on the saya (scabbard) does not detract from the value. Most Type 95s on the market are in "used" condition. You can come across some that have "mint" paint jobs, including the tsuka (handle), and the seller ususally asks for more in that case. But yours is in average condition, and worth the price I listed.

You can read about the meaning of the stamps on the copper collar (fuchi) here: http://ohmura-study.net/794.html

Colin,

I think the estimates suggested above are very accurate. I would say $1000 total. $800 for the sword $200 for the Hinomaru flag, correspondence, and photos.

I have enjoyed collecting militaria for many years and would suggest, should you decide to make the trade, doing something as I've done, with the flag, photos, etc. in the lower right hand corner of my display in an antique mall, it would look great and tie it all together.

However, always have to agree with PNSSHOGUN, I prefer seeing items showing definite family history remaining within the family.

Happy collecting,

Dave M.

post-2175-0-34223700-1596035370_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It is a nice group. Sword is not an uncommon contractor sadly and the condition is lower end unfortunately. As a group though, it is worth more because provenance is hard to get. Is there a 'bring-back' paper with the sword? That is really the 'golden goose' of the lot.

Personally, if all the items are grouped, I think it could even reach 2000. Flags are also valuable, as is provenance. The blade is in great condition, so 1000 seems a little low imho, but 1500-2000 is I think rather reasonable.

Sell them as a bring back group would be a better idea.

The price of the NCO sword has been gone down for at least a year now and gets lower after COVID starts. Plus, in the same condition, The brass guard always more desirable and sold for more than the iron guard.

There are many NCO o eBay priced lower than before and can make an offer for it, but still sits there for a long time can't sell. 

Sell them as a bring back group would be a better idea.
The price of the NCO sword has been gone down for at least a year now and gets lower after COVID starts. Plus, in the same condition, The brass guard always more desirable and sold for more than the iron guard.
There are many NCO o eBay priced lower than before and can make an offer for it, but still sits there for a long time can't sell. 

Yup, I have a more desired brass guard that's matching, has more paint remaining than this example for less than $1000 and no bites or offers so far.  Pre-COVID it would have been sold for my list price the night I listed it.  I thought I saw the grouping from the OP on eBay or GB or something for a pretty high price.  I've had mint iron guards when NCOs were hot and they never brought more than $700-$800.  The NCO collectors want the early brass guards.  I had an iron guard NCO that was a bring back from one of the first recipients of the Navy cross and it took 6 months to sell for $800 a year or two ago.  It was 95%+ condition...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..