Writting on scabbard

Foletta

Hi Geoff, did you buy that sword on ebay yesterday?   It looks like it's likely a hand made and probably older blade, but the guy couldn't get the handle off.   The sword was in their family after his uncle brought it back.  I couldn't translate that either, but didn't try too hard.  I assumed it was an address of some sort.  Congrats on winning and let us know what it turns out to be.  I was an underbidder.  

I thought it was gibberish too, but it seems to be trying to say

大九号四 (My guess; somebody attempted to write 第九四号, meaning #94 or presumably "Type 94", as in the sword type)

別?病院   (betsu? byōin - hospital)  

Hard to tell if it is something a westerner wrote, trying to mimic Japanese characters. Or maybe it was written by someone with terrible writing skills. 

The three characters at the end look like 十永三 (jū naga san) but I'm buggered if I know what it means. Part of an address, as Robert says, or a name? 

• Like 1

The family sent me this . My uncle's name was Gerald Rxxxxs (name removed). He was a hospital Navy Marine Corpsman so most likely assigned to a hospital ship that goes along with your scenario. I am not sure of his rank though. He passed away about 20 years ago. Good job researching this Steve M . Although the characters are some what crude Steve has done a great job connecting it to a hospital as he did not have any information to go with . Thank you Steve the family members were pleased that they received some information about the sword which had been in their attic for over 75 years. Cheers Geoff

• Like 2

Yes its at customs now in  US it will come in the next 3-4 weeks if all goes well . We are now in stage 4 lockdown in Melbourne . We can not leave our home unless its for food and medical etc . Also we have a 8pm to 5am curfew must not leave our home at all . The bright side is that we can study swords more . I will post photos on sight when it arrives Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..