Need help identifying this sword

This is a mogito, a practice sword with blade in aluminium alloy and modern cast fittings

Manuel,

For my own education, what is meant by "practice sword?" Do you think it was made in Japan as a practice sword? The blade shape looks authentic as does the nakago jiri.

The etched name "Randal" and possibly a unit "IIXII" could be the guy that brought it back, if made during the war (for practice).

Manuel,

For my own education, what is meant by "practice sword?" Do you think it was made in Japan as a practice sword? The blade shape looks authentic as does the nakago jiri.

The etched name "Randal" and possibly a unit "IIXII" could be the guy that brought it back, if made during the war (for practice).

Of course i might be wrong, but from what i see the blade isn't tamahagane for sure and most likely not even steel. The hamon is drawn and the nakago is been badly adapted (most likely to fit the tsuka). Usually this kind of blades are called "mogito" in Japan, and can be wall hangers for tourists or iaito for practice.

Tosogu are all modern cast and the koshirae is "wall hanger quality".

At least is probably made in Japan, since usually China ones are steel

• Like 1

All else set aside,

"My Grandfather got this katana back in World War 2 somewhere around the 1960s" .

That would be a nice hat trick.......since that war ended in 1945...... just throwing it out there.

Mark

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..