tsuba translation

Hi all,

I have been trying to translate this tsuba.  I am not sure about the auction translation of hide yuki.  I see there is a small character above hide not sure what that is.  I could use the help with finding who this smith is.  I have been trying to figure out kanji, this is what I have but I know not correct "心英兩可" +kao.  post-23-0-63120800-1595447688_thumb.jpg The auction link is https://www.catawiki.com/l/39045283-tsuba-shakudo-Japan-late-edo-period

Thanks.

Ken aka "the Mantis Dude"

I think the auction would have you believe it reads 英雪.

It seems a stretch to me, because not only is the 雪 very poorly carved, but I can't find any such smith in Wakayama. I don't know what the squiggly bit above 英 is, but it is unusual as well. Feels very weird to me. 

If you are happy to deal in ifs, here's a thought for the pot. If it tastes bitter, toss it out. OK here goes: if that character is 心, then it could mean 'in the style of'. But then the question remains, i.e. who is Eisetsu?

(There was an Edo Omori school 英雲 Eiun, disciple of 英昌 Eisho). Presumably there is no other inscription?

英満

Omori Terumitsu is another possibility, given the similarity in 満 and the kanji that looks like 兩. But that leaves all the other bits unaccounted for. (And there is no sanzui-hen...obviously)

I do think its trying to be Teru-somebody from the Omori school. 

Hi all,

Some additional potential names to cruise through. Wouldn't be the first time i just went through Haynes index, well in this case more names to go through. Something satisfying when you finally discover that first kanji in a name to solve the puzzle. Although very disappointing not to figure it out. Appreciate any more ideas, if they come to you. I'll share if i figure it out (actually did go through some of those variations although not completely). Thanks for the input. Ken

英満

Omori Terumitsu is another possibility, given the similarity in 満 and the kanji that looks like 兩. But that leaves all the other bits unaccounted for. (And there is no sanzui-hen...obviously)

I do think its trying to be Teru-somebody from the Omori school. 

I agree, but Steve, there's no sanzui hen on it, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..