Korekazu mei

Geoff, please don't get hung up on mei! Look at the blade first. Is the sugata correct? How about the jigane? Does the hamon match? Unless you've identified these kantei points, looking at the mei is useless.

Take a look at https://to-ken.uk/resources/kantei.html for more details. And please remember that the vast majority of blades are gimei.

Geoff, please don't get hung up on mei! Look at the blade first. Is the sugata correct? How about the jigane? Does the hamon match? Unless you've identified these kantei points, looking at the mei is useless.

Take a look at https://to-ken.uk/resources/kantei.html for more details. And please remember that the vast majority of blades are gimei.

Useless, dear Ken, unless you know perfectly the workmanship ot the smith in question (which needs years of serious studies). 

For example, knowing the quality of the blade, takes a long period of time ( hundreds of  blades) to reasonably understand, what you have in hand, with two good eyes and proper lighting.  When this is accomplished you'll be near knowing half as much of what you don't know.  Some collectors, can take a blade out of the scabbard five to ten inches  (only) to determine if it's worth further study. Good luck. Happy Trail's. Peace.

Tom D.

Geoff, there are nine generations.  Based on this date, I think that it could only be 7, 8 or 9.  If it's gimei, it is probably purporting to be 7, since he is the most famous, along with the first generation.  I haven't studied the mei, but I have a 7th generation and am attaching a photo of the mei.  

post-620-0-52737900-1596058354_thumb.png

The last two kanji on yours, which I think say "sei-tan" or respectfully made, are pretty different.  I am leaning toward it not being 7th generation or being gimei of 7.  You will need examples of 8th and 9th generations.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..