Hey guys anyone ever see this type of koshirae before, I had asked for translation help...

Yuradneprov

I don't think anyone can be at all certain of what it is or isn't based on such low resolution images.

It sounds like your keen to buy so perhaps a decision has been made and this discussion it better served after you have provided more detailed images and information, perhaps with it in hand.

I think it's not that early but based on the images who knows.As for quality I don't think it's high, just flashy pretentious. It follows this is after 1830 IMHO and possibly 1930's

Really not a lot to go on sorry.

I'll politely bow out.

Good luck

Can you please ensure your name is on every reply by embedding it in your signature.

Lots of Newcomers are not adhering to this policy.

Up to 1830 the quality of gold (pure gold content) was reduced to as little as 50% by order of the Bakafu.

1830 to end of the samurai class pure gold of any composition was prohibited other than foil and plate or gilt.

What I cannot work out us why it's got a silver habaki.Thats not in the style of the piece.

Much better pics.
I am unsure what to make of this. I like the blade a lot. But as for some of the fittings, I suspect someone took a nice kozuka and menuki (and other parts) and heavily gold plated them. They messed up all the fine detail, nanako etc etc.
Under that, I suspect we have decent shakudo and whatever else.

• Like 2

Much better pics.

I am unsure what to make of this. I like the blade a lot. But as for some of the fittings, I suspect someone took a nice kozuka and menuki (and other parts) and heavily gold plated them. They messed up all the fine detail, nanako etc etc.

Under that, I suspect we have decent shakudo and whatever else.

I think Brian is bang on the money.that would have been shibuichi over gilt or silver. I've a similar Fuchi kashira on a katana koshirae.that set if fittings have been really messed with and not in a good way IMHO sorry.the kozuka nanako has gone in places and it's lost any depth of field.

That's a 20th Century ”restoration” I think.

Was it done to improve saleability as I think it's a counterproductive measure for me.

Regards Adam

• Like 1

So i have it in my posssesion now and seems that only the menuki have been dipped the rest seems all natural or at least the way it was made. Reason I'm saying menuki is because when you hold it in your hands for a bit the menuki lose the gold color and turn a copper tone. The rest looks good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..