I'm back with another cool sword, tell me about it, please

Karenfc

Karen,

Welcome to the Club! We'd love to hear the story behind your gunto - how did you come about owning it? Is there a story between you and the war? etc.

Kiipu is correct. Called a Type 95 NCO gunto (army sword). Amazingly, only 3 numbers from my own, 2643! The model was commissioned in 1935. This first version, with copper handle and office-styled saya (scabbard) was made for less than a full year (working from memory - late 1937 to July '38). Just a few more than 6,000 produced.

You can read about them here:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/ija-type-95-nco-sword-info-228172/

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/short-development-history-type-95-gunto-676112/

and

http://ohmura-study.net/957.html

My husband is the military collector,  he doesn't want to know anything about computers.  I'm the computer person.  I have offered to gently teach him,  but to no avail.  My Grandfather enlisted in the Army during WWI,  my Dad enlisted into the Army,  April 1943,  he was 19.  Served as a Surgical Technician (with an 8th grade education!).  Discharged December 27,  1945.  Northern France and possibly Africa.  He never talked about it,  except when he would have a little too much to drink during the holidays.  One story he told was when he had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night,  was walking through some trees and a sniper took a shot at him,  he said his legs froze up and he just fell over,  which probably saved him.  He was able to crawl into some brush and hide out.  My nephew enlisted after 9/11.

We frequent local flea markets,  garage sales,  etc.  My husband has built up quite a rapport with the regulars and they tend to save things for him.  This is one of 2 swords he purchased from the same dealer,  who is now deceased.  He told us it belonged to his uncle,  who had been murdered near the end of the war.  That's all we know about it.

Karen please do not throw the sword on the ground. Handle it with care and lay it on pillows. Oil the balde slightly with a good choji oil or a dont smelling fine machine oil. 

This sword is worth to preserve it for the coming generations. Honour it.

Make sure not to see any oil drops on the blade to destroy the wooden inlay in the saya.

As Stephen said these sword is an investment it will rise in price over the years.

• Like 1

Karen get a old rag and lightly oil the saya.

I see vaule has not been talked about. Copper handels bring a premium price.

3 to 6K range for premium condition. Take care of the saya please.

+1

There's one on fleabay at the moment, it's been there for a couple months and he is asking 5.2k. for serial # 3436

here's the link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Genuine-WW2-Japanese-Army-Military-Officer-NCO-Sword-Copper-Handle-Gunto/223987415334?hash=item3426b0b926:g:bLYAAOSw0ytemPI9

A few factors that govern prices on these, 1-Condition, 2-matching numbers and 3-the lowness of numbers...(4/3/2-digits etc)

If you or your husband isn't keeping it but intends to sell, i recommend taking some higher resolution and SHARPER photos.

In the meantime, i'm with the other members here and suggest a wiping over of the blade and scabbard (saya) with a good quality machine oil as least. 

Very nice find!

37-1/2" overall length.  Grip/fittings look copper?  Matching numbers. Thanks!

I have one question for you.  Is there a 東 inspection mark to the right of the blade serial number?  Some will have it while others do not.  It does not effect the value of the sword either way.

+1

There's one on fleabay at the moment, it's been there for a couple months and he is asking 5.2k. for serial # 3436

here's the link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Genuine-WW2-Japanese-Army-Military-Officer-NCO-Sword-Copper-Handle-Gunto/223987415334?hash=item3426b0b926:g:bLYAAOSw0ytemPI9

A few factors that govern prices on these, 1-Condition, 2-matching numbers and 3-the lowness of numbers...(4/3/2-digits etc)

If you or your husband isn't keeping it but intends to sell, i recommend taking some higher resolution and SHARPER photos.

In the meantime, i'm with the other members here and suggest a wiping over of the blade and scabbard (saya) with a good quality machine oil as least. 

Very nice find!

He is asking 5.2! 

But he isn’t selling. He probably will in the end, but even if I want one, I don’t think I’d be ready to shed that much into a machine made sword. Imho, 3000 is more reasonable, even if those are scarce. I don’t think you can ask the price of a man made sword for a machine made one. (Well, actually, you CAN ask...)

• Like 2

He is asking 5.2! 

But he isn’t selling. He probably will in the end, but even if I want one, I don’t think I’d be ready to shed that much into a machine made sword. Imho, 3000 is more reasonable, even if those are scarce. I don’t think you can ask the price of a man made sword for a machine made one. (Well, actually, you CAN ask...)

I don't think he can sell it for that price in a long time. A much better condition one sold on eBay 2 months ago by ericowazamono for $4000.Another one with matching number but has the tip of the blade chipped sold on eBay for $1850 about 3 weeks ago.
I'm starting to think copper Handel NCO sword is not that rare compare to some other WW2 period Japanese sword. On my observation, there are around 10 copper handle NCOs (a couple of them don't have match scabbard)sold online worldwide from 2019-2020, price from $1800-$4000, most of them around $2500-$3000.
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..