Which era ?

Since I’m a beginner is it okay if I ask for a hint? What is the sori type and how much sori? If it is saki, could it be terminal Muromachi? If not and little curvature I’ll instead guess Kanbun. The start of hamon is straight, that’s a pre Shinto tell isn’t it? Also are those crab claws? If those are claws am I looking at something related to Bizen?

As JP says, this is almost certainly a "trap" sword!!!

I would definitely say not Koto.  With a suguyakidashi, sampin boshi and that slight taper from the monouchi to the kissaki I would have to say Shinto era.  The hamon certainly reminds me of a sword I've seen and it does have Mino traits in the sanbonsugi style.  Other than that, I would say it is an excellent sword whenever it was made!!!  Possibly an utsushi.

Looking forward.

BaZZa.

• Like 2

Well gentlemen, 

Thanks for triying. i did'nt  give sugata and measurements because i wanted to focus on the hamon (if you look attentively at the sori it's shallow but saki).  Hamon different in the upper part of ble blade and in the lower part of it leads to Sue Koto particularly a period of about 35 years between 1521 and 1555 (Daiei, Kyoröku and Tenbun era). 

The yakidashi usually thought to be only shinto is effectively misleading  

This sword was made by Muramasa but you can find the same kind of hamon in some works by Nidai Kanemoto or Sukesada and others.

post-373-0-03189000-1595401542_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Well gentlemen, 

Thanks for triying. i did'nt  give sugata and measurements because i wanted to focus on the hamon (if you look attentively at the sori it's shallow but saki).  Hamon different in the upper part of ble blade and in the lower part of it leads to Sue Koto particularly a period of about 35 years between 1521 and 1555 (Daiei, Kyoröku and Tenbun era). 

The yakidashi usually thought to be only shinto is effectively misleading  

This sword was made by Muramasa but you can find the same kind of hamon in some works by Nidai Kanemoto or Sukesada and others.

attachicon.gifShodai Muramasa.jpg

A real teaser Jacques, and a VERY good lesson in the universality of some sword features.  JP said it -  "Muramasa looked so obvious I dismissed it immediately!"  I can only think that those of our number who did not have a guess all knew The Answer.  My real gut feeling is that they didn't have a clue!!  C'mon now, who amongst our cognoscenti REALLY knew The Answer???  Be upfront about it, for this is surely what NMB is about amongst our everyday (enjoyable nonetheless) banter.

This was fun, Jacques, and a few more in your busy day wouldn't go astray!!!

BaZZa.

• Like 3

Well, Sengo was mentioned on the other page, I said it looked like it but dismissed it as too obvious and said it should be closer to the ha. But the box shaped, three gunome features, followed by a gently undulating Suguha is found again and again in the Sengo school. 

• Like 2

Well, Sengo was mentioned on the other page, I said it looked like it but dismissed it as too obvious and said it should be closer to the ha. But the box shaped, three gunome features, followed by a gently undulating Suguha is found again and again in the Sengo school. 

Hmmm, I'll go and look at my old Sengo blade in Shingunto koshirae, with unusual hanger.  I've been meaning to put it up here for a long time - straws on my back!!!

BaZZa.

• Like 1

I'll hold my hand up Bazza, I don't think  would have gone to Muramasa as a first guess. My initial reaction would have been something a bit later. I am glad to say we continue to learn and hopefully don't take anything for granted.

A real teaser Jacques, and a VERY good lesson in the universality of some sword features.  JP said it -  "Muramasa looked so obvious I dismissed it immediately!"  I can only think that those of our number who did not have a guess all knew The Answer.  My real gut feeling is that they didn't have a clue!!  C'mon now, who amongst our cognoscenti REALLY knew The Answer???  Be upfront about it, for this is surely what NMB is about amongst our everyday (enjoyable nonetheless) banter.

This was fun, Jacques, and a few more in your busy day wouldn't go astray!!!

BaZZa.

Just using the hamon, il be honest, Muramasa did not register once.

How does that old saying go,  "the eye sees what it wants to see"

All good fun. 

• Like 1

Look at the blade from the Sandai here. Typical box shapes similar to that one. 

http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/articles/Muramasa2.pdf

actually, my lack of knowledge may be why I thought about it. Having a Sengo, I’ve studied this school more particularly and know it much  better than others. So for once, limited knowledge proved helpful. Though I dismissed it all the same as I thought it was to easy and Jacques was tricking us both with Sengo and Shinto.

Two other examples where those shapes are typical:

post-4745-0-89330800-1595419388_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-59845700-1595419608_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..