Tanto by Motohira

It has no papers, is very short, and has a very strange nakago.  The yasurime is very lazy and sloppy, and yet it is under the mei, so it appears to be representing itself as original.  

It is little more than a kokatana if you look at the dimensions - just a toothpick, and the image makes it look much bigger than it is.

I think that Jussi might be right but I haven't studied this maker's signature.  

It is noteworthy that Tsuruta is saying he's never seen one like this either.  

It's not very expensive and in full polish with mounts; they are suggesting that it might just be a wedding gift candidate, which also supports the notion that it's not a collector's sword.  

• Like 3

That's a fair point Les, and I assume that it is in response to my comment.  Yes, I suppose that there are collectors of such things.  In fact, I have a couple myself.  One is the most beautiful lacquer I have ever seen with a tiny blade signed suishinshi masahide.  The other is a koto Bizen Sukesada blade, slightly more substantial.  The really tiny ones, like the one that Jean posted, are not much of a weapon, in my view.  

...... the one that Jean posted, are not much of a weapon, in my view.

If you get stabbed in the wrong place by a blade 4 inches long you're at best incapacitated and at worst dead.

Sliced or stabbed in the artery in the bicep or groin and you will bleed out in approx 16 seconds and you will not stem the bleed.

• Like 1

No just that any edged weapon in the right or wrong hands can be deadly. When I lived in London a life was ended by a burglar with a screwdriver.

A weapons deadly if used with deadly intent.

That's what I tell my little boy anyway.

No offense was meant ????

Not offended, just amused.  Of course I know that, having hurt myself with my tiny swiss army knife.  Hey, a hotdog can be deadly.  

I do stand by my statement that the one Jean posted is "not much of a weapon in my view".  

Did you here of the guy that woke up in the morning, he went to the washroom and looked in the mirror, finding an ice-pick in his head. He had removed in the hospital, making out a police report.  The guilty party, you guess it was his loving wife. He wouldn't press charges, as he was still in love with her, and went home to his devoted wife.  What a guy. Amen.      :)  :)  :)

Tom D.

Tsuruta gives it Jo Jo Saku, however. 

These are described as for 'protecting your own body', but the meaning is that you take your own life before it can be defiled by any intruder. Sufficient for the task if you are shown how.

Personally, I like it, even if the koshirae is pretty battered. Nice low auction start price...

Re 'shindig', something to do with toeing the party line?  :laughing:  ..................... shinogi?

Quote from site: Kantei: genuine Motohira: please look at the shindig line on the nakago.

the shape of the nakago line is not fit on the bottom of the nakago which means a slightly different place.
On the upper part of the nakago, one or two lines are engraved.
If the shindig line on the nakago fit the end of the nakago
or doesn’t have a line on the nakago Jiri You should understand the blade is fake.

*****Actually this is a poor translation of the original line In Japanese:

"If you examine the shinogi line on the nakago of genuine works of Motohira, you'll see that they do not coincide exactly with the tip of the Ken-shaped nakago-jiri." (my attempt)

なを元平の正真作は茎の鎬筋を見ると茎尻の部分の剣形の先端から多少ずれております。

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..