Japanese Swords & Furniture Museum of Fine Arts Boston

Babu

I had it, sold it and now I'd like it back.

If anyone has a copy for sale in the UK or Europe please let me know.

Regretfully USA import duty adds 20% plus handling fees of £12. Unless its super cheap it makes for an expensive purchase from the USA.

Printed books are zero-rated for VAT.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-no-import-duties-and-vat-on-miscellaneous-documents-and-related-articles#P134_16188

Nihonto books should also meet the requirement for duty exemption:

Educational scientific and cultural materials

You can claim relief on import duty and VAT for miscellaneous documents and related articles which are of:

an educational nature

a scientific nature

a cultural nature

To be honest I was assuming that anything bought outside the EU was subject to vat.

I just bought about $300 of stuff and was hit for £42.00 of which handling was £8 total $53 that's a bit of a kicker as I wasn't totally expecting it.

One before that was $150 and £28 fees of which handling was £12. Think I may need to question this disparity.

You mean the disparity in the handling fee?

It depends on who handled the collection of the customs fees. It's only if customs fees are due that you're liable for a handling fee. The handling fees vary somewhat between different couriers and £8-£12 are within the range I'd expect.

Was one Royal Mail and the other Parcelforce?

Yes I've worked this out this morning. One was indeed Royal Mail at £8.00

Parcelforce (a royal mail company) will hit you for £12.

Rather a lot for a card through the door by our royal mail postman and online payment.

Now, pardon me, but --- if one pays for postage isn't that the "handling fee" at the other end??  If not, and one is paying for delivery from another country, then the Universal Postal Union has rules about that.

BUT - it seems complicated these days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union#Observers

BaZZa.

For anyone curious:

What does the Royal Mail handling fee cover?

Our £8 handling fee reflects the cost of clearing items through customs and presenting them to Border Force.

This includes staff costs, storage, administration and handling of the item through Customs. The fee also covers storage and cash handling processes at the Delivery Office.

It's worst when you're just above the threshold. I bought something once that was ~£16 (with a £15 threshold), the customs fees were ~£3 plus a £12 fee. That was nice.

Bazza,

The handling fee isnt about the postage it is managing the process of passing the item through customs. Whether justified or not is another question.

Ah, GAAD, how could I forget that??!!  My handling fee in one instance cost me AUD $500... (slaps forehead)

Yes we don't have it great over here. Lack of available stock means dealers prices are silly in most cases. Importation charges for non EU countries are 20% plus that handling fee. Once we are out of the EU that 20% may (with a no deal exit) be 20% from anywhere outside the UK.

In the USA you get a lot to choose from and some very keen prices.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..