Surrender Tags

At wars end, Japanese swords were surrendered with the promise that the sword would be returned to the owner at some time in the future. Of course this never happened, and many swords souvenired were taken with surrender tags attached. 

Tags took many forms, and it would be historically interesting to see what exists today. 

My contribution is a piece of silk cloth torn into a strip, written on and tied onto the hanger ring.  

Would be great to see other examples, and translations if possible. 

post-3858-0-47719900-1594421785_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-72992000-1594421798_thumb.jpg

I have read (somewhwere!) that General MacArthur ordered all swords confiscated as they were symbols of Japan's Militarism that had to be crushed...

BaZZa.

Swords in Japan were required to be turned over to the occupying forces because they were weapons. Didn't matter if it was a gunto or a National Treasure.

Steve

• Like 1

There is a fantastic collection of WWII documents concerning sword confiscation and classification of National Treasure swords in the NMB Articles section. Around pages 22,23, there is a letter detailing the sequence of events starting with the Japanese govt order allowing the National Treasure swords to be kept and not surrendered. I've attached it. It shows that this happened within 5 weeks of the surrender (3 weeks from the official signing). I couldn't find one that addressed the topic here, but it is a fascinating read, with letters of complaints and several examples of police stations mishandling swords, failing to document them, etc.

Page 2 of the records shows a puzzling order issued by the 25th Infantry HQ, Dec '45, claiming the Supreme Commander had rescinded the authorization for Japanese retention, and possession of even National Treasure swords and they were to be turned in! This caused quite a stir (an unfortunately some lost swords) until it was cleared up by the attached letter.

Fascinating look into the messiness of the day-to-day events.

post-3487-0-60251800-1594565479_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-23249700-1594565491_thumb.jpg

The entire compliation is found here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/forum/57-nt-and-iao-list-and-sword-documents-by-us-gov-1945-1950/

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..