Cat-scratch Habaki

Bruce Pennington

31 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I see what you mean, good observation!

The discolouration even makes it look more like depth of the part of the forest that is in a notch and remains out of the sun.

Yes ...the dragon looks great.

I believe a dragon has a spirit and can be classified as a demi god in a sense.

The style of the dragon looks to be early Muromachi 

I love the circular movement and balance.

The woody bark looking texture is phenomenal.

1 minute ago, Bruce Pennington said:

These characters are usually a dragon or spirit of significance to the Japanese at the time.

Sorry ...I just edited my reply above ..I forgot about the other habaki you were referring to.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

These characters are usually a dragon or spirit of significance to the Japanese at the time.

The hair or mane style and direction of the dragon is a very old style technique usually seen in the first dragons guilded by the Hizen school when they were more simple in design with a few clouds or water.

mistake brain fart ...correction ....HIGO ..not Hizen school.

My first koshirae set I bought was Higo water dragons with menuki mice with such fine detail and placing they looked like real miniature gold mice peeking around the tuska wrap.

I wish I never sold it.

I never seen menuki mice of that quality and realism again ever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's this sword visible here (on auction tomorrow): https://www.drouotonline.com/l/15882162--shinto-wakizashiepoque-edo-16?actionParam=listLot&controllerParam=lot&fromId=116199

Copying the description below to preserve it.

Shinto wakizashi

Epoque EDO (1603 - 1868)

Signé (mei) : Kunishige

Lame (sugata) : hira zukuri, mitsu mune, bo hi ni tsure hi, un horimono bonji mato kannon sur une face

Motif de forge (hada) : mokume

Trempe (hamon) : hotsure suguha

Pointe (boshi) : o-maru

Fusée (nakago) : ubu keitai, haagari nakagojiri, deux mekugi ana, katte sagari yasurime

Longueur (nagasa) : 35,3 cm

Monture (koshira-e) :

Tsuba fuchi kashira : en suite en shibuichi à décor en katakiri bori des sept sages dans la forêt de bambou. Tsuba et fuchi signés Godai Kiryusai Somin suivi de kao. (Ecole Yokoya, 5e génération)

Kogatana : kozuka en shibuichi et cuivre doré à décor en relief d'un motif kurikara ken ryu (dragon sur un ken), sur fond nanako, le revers à motif dit neko yasuri (griffures de chat), Ecole Goto. La lame ornée d'un bonji et signée Katsuren

Habaki : en cuivre doré et shakudo ciselé d'un dragon parmi les vagues tenant le tama

Kurikata : en shibuichi à motif nanako orné d'un môn daki myo ga (pousses de gingembre), utilisé par la famille Hori de Iida

Menuki : en cuivre doré figurant deux dragons

Fourreau (saya) : en laque alternant des rayures noires ro-iro et des rayures noires à inclusion de fines lamelles de bois, orné de deux môn en cuivre doré : daki myo ga (pousse de gingembre) et ageha no cho (papillon)

Provenance : vente Collection Bakhmeteff, Mes Lair Dubreuil et Bellier, Drouot, 16-18 janvier 1929

Le fondateur de l'école Yokoya, Somin, de son vrai nom Yokoya Chojiro, (1670-1733) avait étudié la la peinture de l'école Kano, et est l'inventeur de la technique du katakiri bori, qui imite des traits de pinceau dans le métal.

Adding some pictures too.

image.thumb.png.066fafb4d36f18fe57b1a001f5e63600.pngimage.thumb.png.f22927a2449eff052df2931dbfeb32af.pngimage.thumb.png.f432829a23b3fc30b9638aa88a481990.pngimage.thumb.png.354e4d21e6553144eeca0b6fd6ca58d5.pngimage.thumb.png.bd6a5b9f52e4cd907a961b8a0dde2ee0.png

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting one in that both sides have mon, but different ones.  Also interesting because of it's possible history.  Found this on an auction posted by John, @Shugyosha, HERE.  The tanto is made for Tomoo, in 1843.  The seller speculates that it was "Nagasawa Tomoo 長澤伴雄 (1808-1859) who was a scholar of Japanese classical literature and Waka poetry. He was a Samurai at the Kii Domain, Wakayama. He compiled multi-volume Waka poetry collections. It is likely that the long poems inscribed on both sides of the blade are by him."

983642782_Screenshot2021-11-07070035.thumb.jpg.f182a3dce1380fe6b970a1d8ea731279.jpg994827429_Screenshot2021-11-07070802.jpg.9a36f5ed476ca1d2e205aff10d01d90e.jpg

1885596278_Screenshot2021-11-07065811.thumb.jpg.5b588c22550c72324a8b479e4a062f64.jpg

• Like 4