Kyo Sukashi Hitsu

Japan2112

I was under the opinion that early Kyo sukashi tended to have both hitsu maru shaped and that the kogai ana became suhama gata later. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I have two early (Eisho'ish) kyo sukashi and both have kogai suhama gata. Thank you.

It is said that early Tsuba in general, not only Kyo-Sukashi but also Kanayama, Owari, Ko-Shoami, Ko-Kinko etc., have  identical hitsu ana shape in half-moon-form while the kogai hitsu ana was replaced by suhama gata later.

In Your case the Eisho aera is late Muromachi and in Sasano's books You find enough examples with suhama shaped kogai-hitsu-ana.

BTW concerning Kyo-sukashi guards there are also pieces from Momoyama or early Edo-period showing identical shaped hitsu-ana on both sides on account of geometric design.
Textbooks say also that Kyo-sukashi hitsu-ana have an oblong shape which is true but not the rule. There are Kyo-sukashi hitsu-ana in regular shape or even considerably rounded.

Alas a generalization seems impossible so a lot of comparing is necessary to get a feeling for this topic.

Best, Florian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..