Goto Teijo Kozuka motif

Japan2112

Hi guys,

I have this kozuka attributed to Goto Teijo with two monkeys carrying a branch of fruit. I have seen this motif before but so far am unable to distill its meaning. Any ideas? I know Teijo's father, Kenjo, also used monkeys in motif. Perhaps something particular to the Ribei line? 

Thanks.

Mark

post-2371-0-28902100-1593793603_thumb.jpg

I’ve been trying to decipher this theme since Mark kindly showed me this beauty at the Atlanta Show earlier this year.

I really like Guido’s suggestion of loquats and found many good pictures of that theme (monkey/saru and loquat/biwa).  However, the fruit on Mark’s Kogai doesn’t look like the loquat/biwa in any of the pictures, paintings or tosogu that I saw.  I know I’m taking a huge risk questioning Guido’s vast knowledge (who can forget when he taught us the difference between Shikami and Oni years ago :clap:).  Also (for those of you who have been around here for a while), I know I risk getting the famous Guido reply of a rabbit with a pancake on its head ( :o fear of that response is one of my greatest phobias and it makes me be very careful in every posting on the NMB…) 

However, in the interests of [my] learning….  The fruit on Mark’s Kogai is either a bunch of individual fruits growing together in a globe shape or a single, globe shaped fruit with a bunch of nodules.  Loquats/biwa are clustered randomly and do not grow together in a globe shape.  In addition, they have a distinctive calyx (the “navel” looking thing at the bottom of many fruits) that is almost alway depicted in art, but are absent on Mark’s Kogai.  Similarly, the various “bulbs” on the fruit on Mark’s Kogai are pockmarked with lots of dimples (except for the central, larger one) and loquats are smooth.  Therefore, I don’t think that this Kogai has loquats. 

So what suggestion can I offer???  I don’t really have anything more convincing.  I thought it might be a dogwood fruit (Kousa or Yamaboshi - which Japanese monkeys love to eat).  That fruit looks a lot more like the fruit on Mark’s Kogai, but that doesn’t explain the central, smooth and larger nodule in the center.  So I think that we still haven’t identified the theme of Mark's Kogai yet.  :dunno:

Guido-sama - what say you?

MARK'S KOGAI:

post-852-0-25490700-1593914717_thumb.jpg

LOQUAT PICTURES:

post-852-0-05428400-1593914765_thumb.png

post-852-0-78041700-1593914783_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-70609300-1593914798_thumb.jpg

DOGWOOD FRUIT:

post-852-0-36529000-1593914901_thumb.jpg

Monkeys are most often portrayed in Japanese art with peaches, persimmons, loquats, or chestnuts. Since the fruit cluster in this case doesn’t resemble any of them close enough to be 100% sure, I went with the leaves as the determining factor, giving the fruits some artistic license. As Sherlock Holmes said: “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

And since I mentioned Mr. Holmes: our resident Dr. Watson  ;-) sent me a link to the original sales listing, where the hozon papers are shown that say it’s chestnuts. I don’t want to hand anyone a can opener to let slip the worms of NBTHK-bashing, but I’ve seen quite a few tōsōgu papers where they got the motif wrong, as they certainly did with this kōgai. They probably just took one of the above four fallback fruits since they, too, couldn’t come up with something more convincing.

So, am I sure those are loquats? No. Do I still keep the bunny/pancake picture on my hard drive? Hell yes!

• Like 1

This is the type of conversation/analysis that I LOVE. Well done Guido, George and others for showing us how it should be done.
You guys go together like monkeys and some weird unidentified fruit. :laughing: ;-)

• Like 2

Dale, I was hoping that you'd get involved in trying to determine what fruit this is.  The monkeys and style of the menuki you posted have a lot in common with Mark's kogai (but the original poster says chestnut - back to Guido's observation that chestnut is one of the defaults).

I still have not found a fruit that I'm completely satisfied with, but the following Buddha's Head Fruit/Cherimoya/Custard Apple (hybrid) looks the most like the fruit in Mark's kogai that I've been able to find.  The only problem is that this fruit probably didn't come to Japan or Asia until about a hundred years ago (so probably too young for Mark's kogai...)  Also, still can't explain the larger, smooth, central nodule on the fruit in Mark's kogai.  Perhaps Matt's suggestion of something like the Rambutan (or Lychee, etc.) might explain that smooth nodule (see bottom photo of an open Rambutan among closed ones.

post-852-0-44041600-1594389020_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-36967800-1594389056_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-10184500-1594389075_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-37725000-1594389088_thumb.jpg

Open Rambutan:

post-852-0-56900700-1594389570_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There are several Asian fruits that may be the candidate - first thing though, how do we know if the fruit is to the same scale as the monkeys? 

7c7870bcdee44fccd8cd5bb45a3fdd75.jpg Cornus Kousa,  Korean Dogwood is an edible fruit found in Korea and Japan.

But perhaps more telling is the 'Monkey fruit' found throughout South East Asia. The custard apple leaves certainly look right but there are so many varieties that finding the specific species will be difficult. particularly if we don't know the size. Monkey-Fruit-Description-and-uses.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..