New member with a Kyu-Gunto

Randall

Hello everyone. I have been in to swords now for about 12 years. I have owned many Chinese shinken some custom made and others like Paul Chen and so forth. I finally purchased this sword off of eBay and it arrived today. Now when it comes to the seller I did my research here and I read the good along with the bad. Taking his feedback on eBay too I purchased it. I have always wanted a antique Japanese sword. His listing description was as follows.

This is a Japanese Meiji to WWll Army officer`s sword in kyugunto mountings. The blade is unsigned, shinogi-zukuri shape, Edo time period ca.1700 era made family blade. The blade is in old polish, shows fine scratches but no rust, no stain and in good condition. The temper line is wavy gunome with choji temper and has deep temper at the point. There is no bend, no nick, no crack and cutting edge is sharp. The scabbard is chromed metal scabbard, shows minor oxidations, tiny dent but no bend and in good condition. The handle is tight fit with family mon, brass wire wrapping is no cut, no loose also in good condition. Lock mechanism works fine. It measures 27+3/4" tip to the guard, 26+3/4" cutting edge, 1+1/8" width, 5.5 mm thickness at the notch and 38+3/4" in mountings.

It does have a amazing blade and he was true to his discription. I’m going to have to post again to get the rest of the pictures.

post-5450-0-59906800-1593306992_thumb.png

post-5450-0-48198200-1593307043_thumb.png

post-5450-0-77960600-1593307082_thumb.png

post-5450-0-81789100-1593307364_thumb.png

Dear Randall.

A hot stamp or kokuin is a mark that is stamped into the nakago when it's red hot, example here.  http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/4239-kokuin/

You have a nice sword, if you can get some better pictures of the whole blade with the habaki removed and some detailed shots of the nakago that will help everyone make informed comments for you.

All the best.

Thanks Randall! I realize many other forum groups don't require names, but we spend a lot of time with each other here, and it's nice to really know folks all around the world. Real friendships develop. There is a way to keep your avatar name, and simply place a real name at the bottom of the page like Geraint, above.

Thanks for the clear picture. I guess it was just shadowing in the first picture at the top. There's no stamp.

I looks like a nihonto indeed, not too old though, probably Shinshinto by the look of it. Better pictures of the whole naked blade laying flat and taken from above, with no distortion, would help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..