Masakatsu Tanto

Vermithrax16

Most that know me know my favorite work style is masame hada. It's to the point of obsession. As such, they are not a common sword type to be found and combined with the pandemic issues limiting dealings with Japan based sellers, it's been a long empty period for my collecting as far as additions go.

But the NMB For Sale of Trade section can always offer something worth your time.

Raymond Singer posted a tanto for sale, and it had all my wants. My favorite smith is Suifu Ju Katsumura Norikatsu. How about a tanto from his best student. Masakatsu? Well yes indeed, I had to jump on it. Thanks Ray!

Masakatsu studied under Norikatsu since the age of 12. He later married Norikatsu's second eldest daughter and was adopted into the family, hence his name.

It's been a while since I have taken sword pictures, and it was wildly sunny all day today which made my preferred way to take pictures difficult. Maybe some on a night this weekend will be better.

This is a kata kiri ha style of tanto, so yes the different treatments of the two sides is meant by the maker. I am usually not a fan of bo-hi, but they look pleasing in hand for this work. It's a BIG tanto, at 27.9cm nagasa.

The masame is excellent. Flows well throughout the blade. The nie deposits are abundant, and run in strings in many places. The kissaki (which my pictures stink today) is spectacular. Speckled with nie, reminds me of my Norikatsu sword very much.

A great deal here on NMB and fast close (made buy Sunday, sword was here yesterday but signature required, so got it today). Very happy with this blade. NBTHK Hozon token.

post-4009-0-17793100-1593131093_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-23723200-1593131108_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-05472400-1593131280_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-09023500-1593131302_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-56919000-1593131331_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Is that good or bad?

HAHAHA Jeremiah, GOOD of course.  It translates as intense envy heavily laden with good wishes and admiration for having such a good eye.  Yes, Ken's right, I wanted it - BUT - having just taken 1 1/2 years to pay off an indulgent purchase of a bajou zutsu I wasn't about to dive into the crocodile infested waters of another loan!!!  The expression {(clenched teeth) Congratulations!!!} comes from my own circle as an expression of admiration for someone's most recent good find that one wishes to have found oneself...

BaZZa.

• Like 6

Jeremiah, congratulations on your Great purchase. I posted back to Ray good luck with the sale and congratulations to the new owner about ten minutes after he posted it. I loved it!! I was still shaking my piggy bank out to try and put together the jingle when I saw you post SOLD. To say the least I didn’t sleep to good that night. Thank you for posting your follow up and more pictures as it is always nice to see someone excited and pleased with a new purchase. Ray is a Great guy and has helped me many times in the past. Again congratulations. 
          MikeR

• Like 4

Congrats again Masame San (or Mr. Masame, as I have decided to refer to you!).  I will bet that it is the only katakiriba blade that you have.  They are interesting and have very different geometry.  I only have one as well, a Nobukuni, and just love it.  All the best enjoyment with your new treasure. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..