Enju school hada

BIG

I have read this too in various texts and it suggests it shows the link to the Yamato origins of the founder. I confess I have not seen masame in any of the enju blades I have looked at in hand. They occasionally have some larger itame in addition but generally are tight ko-itame very much like Rai hada.

• Like 2

I’ve read many things in this book that left me perplexed when seeing real examples. I guess this is the limitation of a book. It only records the generalities and leaves aside the exceptions.

Hi John,

Sorry I didn't open the link but now I have I agree with Geraint. This smith was working about 450 years after the Enju school ceased production. Good sword and good smith just not an Enju school one

I think I have shown them before but the images below show an enju blade with incredibly long and bright kinsuji and in areas almost sunagashi looking like masame in the hamon. That's about as close as I have seen to masame in Enju but based on Barry's experience they are obviously out there.

post-15-0-29345200-1592402141_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-29345200-1592402141_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-70230100-1592402163_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-89435800-1592402125_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Barry, are you saying that the blade papered to Enju was subsequently repapered to Hosho and made juyo?  is that a sad story for you or was the special blade worth the sacrifice?  I love the activity in the ji of that blade.  

I think they are formed from different types of steel with varying carbon content being combined in the jigane. You see it a lot in Northern province blades (such as Norishige) who are often described as having dark steel. These are not made of ji-nie as other activity such as chickei are

• Like 1

One I have coveted for some time, Enju Kunihide:

attachicon.gif06.jpg

https://nihontou.jp/choice03/toukenkobugu/katana/769/00.html

Shinshinto, i don't think that example is relevant 

However even if it's not a generality we can see some hada with a hint of masame  in Enju school  

The right one has masame, the left one has ko itame nagare 

post-373-0-79548300-1592728056_thumb.jpg

I believe many sources have nagare-masame as a trait for Enju as Francesco mentioned above. It is one of the difficult things as I think it can fluctuate, just a portion of hada flowing into masame can be described as nagare-masame. It is often said to be a trait often seen in Kyūshū swords (although of course it can be seen elsewhere too).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..