Fitting

Im not sure but i read about extra weight in yoroi doshi tanto for a better fit at the belt.

If the blades center of gravity is too close to the nakago and it wants to turn around while moving.

Putting the weight at the top of the saya would be a too big lever and also uncomfortable to handle.

Only my opinion.

I guess it's the right shape for a handle. There is a standard kogatana space on the other side of the sheath. I guess it could be for a spare kogatana handle but why make it inaccessible and why make this piece of brass to fit exactly. 

Myochin. That looks very like what is here! I think you're right! Thanks!! Although good knows how he would have got that out without some special tool. I guess you could just about pull it out with the kogatana blade..

Good morning Steffiee

I think the Kamon is Maru Ni Yotsu Me 丸に四つ目 (assuming the points of the squares are at clock positions 12, 3, 6, 9).

If it was flat on,(edges at clock position 12,3,6,9) then Maru Ni Hira Yotsu Me Yui 丸に平四つ目結

Years ago I picked up a very worn Wakizash saya in a flea market. When I got it home this little silver coin fell out, I presume from the kogatana slot (it did not have a metal tray)...maybe it had a tray years before but slipped out of it and lodged in the bottom of the slot and only fell out now as it had been juggled and knocked by us foreigners?  Anyway, it does happen, but very rare.

Regards,

post-470-0-63424300-1592291097_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..