Antique shop find unokubi zukuri

Lastcanvas

So I’m no expert but that being said this is the limited knowledge I have on this o-tanto?/wakizashi?

All the fitting have the same wave themes as well as a rain pattern on the Habaki.the blade is of unokubi zukuri shape and is mumei “no worries about it being gemei “lol and that’s about it unfortunately :(

Any help with trying to pinpoint the period and maker if “possible “ of the blade and fittings would be greatly appreciated.

David d

post-5435-0-85893800-1592159316_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-50973000-1592159350_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-44276100-1592159375_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-43464500-1592159404_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-82903900-1592159437_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-27364800-1592159465_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-61373600-1592159494_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-84985900-1592159529_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-21980100-1592159550_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Lastcanvas,

welcome to the NMB! 

Please sign all posts with your first name plus an initial so we can address you properly. You can add your signature in your profile.

What can be said about your blade is not so much due to the condition. It might have been attractive when it was made and carried.

Concerning the age: The blade could be from 1700 to late 19th century, difficult to say from photos. Looking at the patination and condition of the NAKAGO, it is probably a later blade. The KOSHIRAE is simple and also 19th century, I think. The green self-adhesive tape is typical for later manufacture.  :glee: . 

Others might see more. You can help by adding dimensions.

• Like 4

I am no expert, and I can only give the advice that I am following with my blades. Keep it as it is, study it under different lights. Learn what you can of the blade. If you Still Love it, start saving up for a polish, then when you have the money take a moment and concider that you probably can buy a better blade in polish for what the polish cost.

• Like 2

I plan on restoring everything myself except the koshirae and blade.i have some nice fish battling oar menuki and some blue grey silk ito coming in the next few months.i don’t plan on selling as the more time I spend with it the more kind of like it.that being said its a possibility it will have to eventually go to a new owner. After I do the tsukamaki and fix the original saya “for now as it will definitely need a new one if it get a polish lol.id definitely like to have a fare estimate value so the both parties are satisfied.

If anyone can help it would definitely be returned by donation to this forum.i plan on being here for a while.

Thank you

Dear David.

Nice wakizashi and potentially nice koshirae.  No one has yet suggested that this is in the form of a naginata naoshi, this is one made in that form rather than an actual shortened naginata judging from the nakago jiri.  

Don't be in a rush with this and whatever you do leave the blade and it's nakago alone.

If you are thinking of doing a rebind then you need this book, https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b909-art-tsukamaki-thomas-buck

As with everything to do with Japanese swords, it's more complex than you might think.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

All the best.

• Like 1

Thank you Geraint.i very aware to not mess with the blade and nakago.i do however have experience in saya repair and making new saya as well as tsukamaki. As I mentioned no sense in making a new saya until the blade has had polish it’s not like the old saya will cause more damage to the blade in it’s current state.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..