Tsuda Sukehiro ( Echizen Kami Sukehiro ) work

Jacques,
in principle, I am going against me - once this question has arisen, I would like to know the answer
Here are two blades from AOI, each two mekugi ana
In both cases, the second mekugi ana is not "above the original"
For the first blade, Tsuruta states that the blade is machi okuri

My blade was purchased from Tsuruta as well and it is true that there was no mention in the description that the blade was a machi okuri

Question is:
It is probable that naginata-hi was created only after a possible machi okuri ?
If so, machi okuri is likely
If not, machi okuri is unlikely from my point of view, because the original position of hi at nakago would be unusual

I would second Jacques in this that the 2nd ana was probably done for different mount. I will borrow few Images from Seskos Meikan as I feel it is the easiest way to show the consistency that Jacques was talking about. You can note that few examples in there have 2 ana too, just note the one in the consistent place is the original and second one an add on. I should have at least c. 60 oshigata by this smith and I do believe they pretty much follow the same pattern. I don't actually know much about Sukehiro or his work in general as I don't focus in swords of this age.

post-381-0-71441900-1592325810_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-47385500-1592325840_thumb.jpg

I would second Jacques in this that the 2nd ana was probably done for different mount. I will borrow few Images from Seskos Meikan as I feel it is the easiest way to show the consistency that Jacques was talking about. You can note that few examples in there have 2 ana too, just note the one in the consistent place is the original and second one an add on. I should have at least c. 60 oshigata by this smith and I do believe they pretty much follow the same pattern. I don't actually know much about Sukehiro or his work in general as I don't focus in swords of this age.

attachicon.gifIMG_20200616_193626.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20200616_193633.jpg

Thank you Jussi,
The view that the blade is machi okuri originated from the missing yasumire near the hamachi (see posts 8 and 10)

The one which is suriage is a wakizashi  lowest mekugi ana was perced for a new koshirae 

The other (katana) has its lowest mekugi ana perced for a tachi mount  

Oshigata of a wakizashi with (as said in the description) an ubu nakago  and picture of a tachi (i was lucky enough to have it in hands), pay attention at the location of the mekugi ana.

Your katana is an ubu one and the hi are original and not ato bori. it's just a matter of different koshirae (tachi)

post-373-0-41797600-1592326182_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-60967000-1592326770_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The yasurime is the part which makes me wonder. It appears that looking at the ubu examples, the yarurime end at the polished part of the blade. Perhaps its ubu but the entire nakago was once rusted over so after restoration there is a portion of the nakago which has patina but no yasurime. The Iidakoendo example also has the yasurime ending quite a distance from the ha.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..