Gumtree warning bells ringing

I'm here in Perth WA and I've never heard of Jason Queen or 'J'. Not sure what this is.

On the other advertisers below this advert is Henry's military collectables...I know Henry, good, honest guy.

Just don't know who this other guy is....

BTW Bruce, that pic of a pile of swords is from an article on "types of" swords on-line...I remember seeing it a couple of years ago.

Regards,

• Like 1

I don't get the same vibes. To me, it's just a collector looking for Japanese swords, and offering to discuss/give opinions so he can see what is out there and make offers.
I do similar ads here for knives, and get good feedback. He's using a generic pic to say "look...I am interested in all these sorts of swords"
Really don't think it's fishy. There must be tens of thousands of collectors not online that we don't know about.
But yeah..it does pay to be cautious.

I'm in Perth and have had very brief contact with this person, through gumtree. I think he just wants to talk about, see and gather information as much as he can, as possible. It doesn't seem he wants to necessarily buy from you or sell to you, but help you out with purchasing a legit sword. Even still, I'd probably not send anything to him for security purposes.

I have bought many Chinese functional replicas and sold just as many through gumtree (we are talking 20+), there is nothing wrong with it, but it is actually against gumtree policy points 16 and 39 (i think) and they will take an ad down very fast, you end up buying and selling through the same people. Just send them a message and see what they have or want.

I sell through gumtree and admittedly my prices are super high, that is because I don't necessarily want to sell, but I am open to selling as a 'trade up' all to get another (more expensive) Tsuba for my collection.

• Like 2

It does seem a little odd, especially if you are so interested in Nihonto?

Honestly though, I was reading through the NMB for years before I actually joined. At least three guys I had face to face contact with through gumtree had asked me if I was a member (which I was not) and I wish I could remember who they were. I dont know if they were all members, but at least one was and he had said he doesnt post or surf much.

Maybe he is a SBG or sword forum user?

Edit: also, being in Perth is quite lonely, especially if your a Tosogu guy. I have almost no one to talk to face to face about them. Im not collecting Nihonto blades, which I am sure there are a few here which do. If you have not been around too long, it may be a good way to meet and get in with like minded enthusiasts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..