Higo Tsuba? Help Appreciated

Utopianarian

Hi George,

I did not mean to be insulting! Just to take whatever I give with some grains of salt. Most Higo look refined in a way I do not recognize in your tsuba.

There are many knowledgeable people here who never tire correcting me. Let's wait for them!

None taken. I know very little and appreciate your take on it. Sorry I have a weird sense of humor. The gold trim looks sloppy compared to other Higo work just looking at other examples online but appear to be sort of the same style like this one for example

post-4538-0-15750800-1591971471_thumb.jpeg

Just wonder if it’s worth sending it to Shinsa

Good lord, a resounding No!

NBTHK fittings shinsa is half ass, and will take you most of 1 year for their doofus opinions. They are not what they once were.

That is my opinion.

• Like 5

George 

I am not a fan of the hitsu-ana on your guard and the gilding almost looks painted on, any chance of a side view?

I am not a big fan of shinsa either - from my point of view it is only a way for dealers to ask for more money, on the opinion of a small select number of 'experts'  - and I will go further to say that very little is backed up with what we would call 'proof.' That little piece of paper is just that - a bit of paper. 

• Like 1

I am sorry it is too hard to judge - I thought from the first pictures there was some casting spurs in the hitsu, but now I am unsure. The decoration looks like overlay not inlay, no evidence of nunome-zogan so it is possible that the design was applied by mercury gilding - a technique used by Higo artists such as Hirata Hikozo. The gilding usually appears dull compared to cold zogan. According to Marcus Sesko's book 'Handbook' p.12 . That is just a guess on my part but it might set you on the right path. If you appreciate the piece that's all that is really important.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..