Rai Kinmichi Shobu Wakizashi

jt nesbitt

Hey Gang-

I want to share a blade that I bought last year. This one has no papers, so still a bit of a mystery to me. Paid $1600 for it because I really like the shape, and totally groovy choji hamon.

I think that the Mei reads "Izumi-no Kami Rai Kinmichi"

My questions are:

What does "Izumi-no Kami" mean? There are a few Rai Kinmichis out there, which one do you reckon made this sword?

There is no yokote, so this is not shinogi zukuri, but the shinogi terminates into the mune so far away from the kissaki that I would hesitate to call it shobu. How would you classify this shape?

What do y'all make of the way the hamon straightens out towards the ha machi and the way it so gracefully wraps around the kissaki?

I think that this sword could look outstanding with a polish....What do y'all think? Is it worth the expense, and who would you send it to if it were? Thanks  -- JT

post-5347-0-69400500-1591811883_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-92791000-1591811898_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-08504700-1591811916_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-28900600-1591811932_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-18750200-1591811950_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-04997600-1591812026_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-37966000-1591814154_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a very nice and healthy blade with potential! It was probably polished by someone in the West who felt it should be very shiny, but many HATARAKI are no longer visible after this treatment. A pity, but can be resolved.

It is indeed SHOBU-ZUKURI.

Please sign all posts with your first name plus an initial as is requested here.  

• Like 1

Jean-

Thanks for the analysis! You wouldn't call this a Naginata-naoshi (but without bohi)? I should have mentioned that the cross section of this blade is very triangular.

Are you familiar with this swordsmith Kinmichi? Is this the correct translation?

I am signing my posts with my name (JT) should I also include my last name? Trying to figure out the protocol here.  -- JT (Nesbitt?)

JT I would approach the mei with caution. The signature indeed reads Izumi no Kami Rai Kinmichi. I believe the honorary title Izumi no Kami was gotten by 2nd generation in 1616. And the lineage continued until the 5th generation with whom the line ended. I do not have mei examples of 4th or the 5th gen Kinmichi as I don't focus swords of this era I am just limited with top Shinto smith references in books. I would not personally think this signature to be work of 2nd or 3rd generation, of course I could be wrong.

Here are few authenticated mei examples for comparison

https://tokka.biz/sword/kinmichi4.html

https://www.toukenkomachi.com/index_ja_tachi&katanaA121218.html

https://www.seiyudo.com/ka-020112.htm

• Like 1

Jussi-

Thanks for helping me with the sleuthing!

Yes, I agree that this signature appears to be a little less "formal" that the examples that you have posted, and the ones that I have seen while snooping around on the internet. No mon, for sure....

The overall "feel" of this sword is of very high quality, and the hamon treatment is fabulous. The hamon does have some overall shape similarities with the other Kinmichi work I have seen, but I am still so very green, that you should probably ignore my opinion.

One question - Did all of the Kyo Go Kaji, Rai Kinmichi smiths use the mon on the nakago?

If I were going to fake one of those signatures, I would definitely put the mon on there just to mitigate the suspicion of a forgery at first blush. Unless I were a forger trying to use reverse psychology......Now I am chasing my tail, but you get the point right? --- JT

I tried to get some beauty shots of the hamon. Crazy difficult to shoot unless you have a set-up for it. Mad props to all of those sword photographers out there! These pics look WAY better as thumbnails... My crummy digital camera about had a heart attack trying (unsuccessfully) to find something to focus on while I am shaking, holding a sword in one hand and a camera in the other. Hope this helps for anyone that is curious. --- JT

post-5347-0-01881100-1591896779_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-61329200-1591896865_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-27261500-1591896879_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-90853900-1591896894_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-99365500-1591896913_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-75102700-1591896931_thumb.jpg

post-5347-0-24689100-1591896946_thumb.jpg

Ray-

Facinating! Thank you for the link. What would the English translation of "Izumi-no Kami" be? Please forgive my ignorance, I couldn't find a direct translation anywhere for that phrase.

So assuming this is a legit Mei (???Your thoughts??) - Which of the 5 Kinmichis (from 1596-1764) do you think made this sword?

Do you think it deserves a polish? Who would you send it to? Thanks for being so generous with your time!! --- JT

Hi JT,

Izumi (no) kami = Izumi (province) + kami (lord of). It is a honorary title, which does not equate to any responsibilities to the province that has been named. 'Daijo' is another title which is one level down from 'Kami', as I understand it. I have not scrutinized the mei itself yet, but will take a look.

These are the applicable smiths who used some form of the 'Izumi (no) kami' title + Rai Kinmichi. I am not familiar offhand which of those generations used the kiku-mon (and the time periods within their respective careers when the kiku-mon were added).

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KIN44

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KIN45

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KIN48

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KIN50

Kind regards,

Ray

JT I would approach the mei with caution. The signature indeed reads Izumi no Kami Rai Kinmichi. I believe the honorary title Izumi no Kami was gotten by 2nd generation in 1616. 

Shodai rai Kinmichi was granted the Izumi no Kami title in 1595 but as i died a short time after receiving this title there is no sword signed Izumi no kami etc.

• Like 1

Shodai rai Kinmichi was granted the Izumi no Kami title in 1595 but as i died a short time after receiving this title there is no sword signed Izumi no kami etc.

Thanks for the correction Jacques I missed the fact that first generation received the title.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..