Removing Active Rust on Nakago

Good evening all,

I recently purchased a Showa period katana from Japan. I noticed there was active rust along the edges and hole of nakago. The iron tsuba and fuchi also have some light rust spots as well. I am trying to find the safest way to remove it. Thank you.

Mike, some photos will help us to help you.

In general, find a piece of ivory (antler or piano key), & use that to scrape away at the active rust. If you can't find ivory, an older copper penny (pre-1982) will work. Since it's a Showato, there's probably little or no black rust (the good kind) that has formed, you don't have to be quite as gentle as you would be with an older blade. Once you've gotten the rust off, put a light coat of choji oil on the whole blade - this is one of the few times you can put oil on the nakago.

Next time, I suggest not buying a rusty blade. It just shows that the caretaker wasn't watching out for its condition,

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..