Osorakuzukuri-shaped tanto signed Hyoshinshi Hideyo Nyudo

Keichodo

This interesting and highly collectable shin-shinto Osorakuzukuri shaped tantō is signed Hyōshinshi Hideyo Nyūdō氷心子秀世入道 and dated Kaei sannen sangatsu nichi (a day in March of 1851) 嘉永三年三月日. Hideyo is rated Jō-saku and this tanto is accompanied by a NBTHK Hozon paper.

Price: Yen 270,000 (including delicensing out of Japan and shipping to EMS destinations; however, payment to be made by wire transfer only ...sorry about that!) Currently EMS shipments are delayed but there is movement of the backlog.....

Details

Nagasa: 18.6 cm
Sori: 0.0
Moto-haba: 24.8 mm
Saki-haba: 21.9 mm
Moto-kasane: 3.7 mm
Saki-kasane: 3.0 mm

The hamon is gunome-midare with a tight nioiguchi, the bōshi hakkikake, the jigane looks soft, and the jihada is ko-itame-nagare. On the omote are the hiragana engraved for osoraku おそらく, while the horimono on the ura represent gomabashi.

Hyōshinshi Hideyo’s 氷心子秀世 real name was Tamura Kōhei 田村耕平.  He was a student and son-in-law of Suishinshi Masahide 水心子正秀. He also studied under Unju Korekazu 雲寿是一.  His dated blades are from Tenpō (天保 1830-1844) to Ansei (安政 1854-1860) eras.

It is a mystery why he added a small stroke to the first kanji of the Suishinshi  ( ), which reads Hyōshinshi. He also occasionally signed his mei with the additional nyūdō 入道 signifying Buddhist lay priest. His residence was in Edo’s Azabu-Imazato 麻布今里.

Robert Hughes (correspond with me at keichodo@yahoo.com) If it sells, a donation to NMB will be made!

post-1318-0-31220100-1591507909_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-40701700-1591507928_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Piers

Yes...at my place in Kamakura....along with about thirty other swords....some suits of armor....kabuto....one hundred tsuba....four matchlock rifles, etc.

Come on over ..... for a samurai shopping spree....

Best,

Robert

Hi Lev

I was in Yokosuka yesterday for a Carl Jr. portobello mushroom burger and a strawberry shake.

Let me know when you are coming to Kamakura next time.  I usually have free time on the weekends. M-F I teach at university (now on-line) ....

Best,

Robert

Lovely tanto, I wish I could afford it now. Any webpage for your other articles? Strange that I missed antique sword shops when I lived in Japan. Then I thought it was more or less impossible to own and have a sword in Japan. Especially for a foreigner.

Hi Bjorn,

My main occupatipn is education. I teach at Toyo University in Tokyo.  I have been involved in the sword business in Japan since 1986. As I have full-time employment, I usually just engage in sword activities on weekends and holidays including attending the dealer auctions. I have set up a stall at the DTI for twenty-five years but mostly sell to dealers directly.  I don't have the time to run a full on-line operation, so I have yet to use an on-line catalog.  Usually, I discretely sell to customers with direct correspondence and photos especially for higher end juyo level blades... There is a lot of misinformation about owning swords in Japan... I was once told by the police that as a foreigner I could not own a sword in Japan.  When I figured out that was bullshit, I became a dealer just to spite the police....

Best,

Robert

• Like 11

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..