Location or Family Name?

Good evening,

I am researching a group of families that used a particular Kamon. The book (in Japanese), list this as the family and province. I  translated them, but not sure I have the Miyazaki translated properly. I can only find it as a province and within the Hyuga region. So maybe I have translated it wrong?

宮崎氏 Miyazaki Family

日向国(ひゅうがのくに)Hyūga Province

Lastly, not sure what this means. I may have the wrong first Kanji, the book font is small and uses a fancy type that makes finding radicals and such difficult.

采図部4,

The book it titled 家紋でたどるあなたの家采 and I am on page 三七二

Thank you,

Justin  .... lost in radicals and translation.....

Good morning Justin and Piers,

Just in case, the Kamon depicted on post #5 are:

Mukai Hato - two pigeons

and

Maru ni Mukai Hato - two pigeons within a circle

There's a reference to the Mukaibato むかい ばと as a talismanic reference to the number 8 read as Hachi, and symbolism for Hachiman.

Check this out, it may be a jumping off point:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Pf3PAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA98&lpg=PA98&dq=mukai+Hato&source=bl&ots=DMBB9iu86E&sig=ACfU3U2x5C-ah_MBAk5VH3gNiRCaUXT1gQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjpprOH2ezpAhXfQxUIHYfhDYUQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=mukai%20Hato&f=false

:)

• Like 1

Thanks all! The Hatto on my Kabuto have one with its mouth closed and the other open, a possible Buddhist reference?

Lots of interesting subtle references. My armor also has Amano kamon references, which leads me to the Koriki line that used this Kamon, since these two families had a lot of history.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..