Tatsutoshi & students

PietroParis

• 1 month later...

I have just bought this unpapered Tatsutoshi on Yahoo! Japan:

tatsutoshi.thumb.jpeg.722d23b2f957fa2f6b2ff78622de154c.jpegtatsutoshi_2.thumb.jpeg.e17654b2d0d918b827985f503d4bb9f0.jpeg

I had given up on it after a little bidding war and then I got a message from Buyee telling me that the seller had canceled the highest bid. I guess that the other bidder was the seller him/herself, just probing how high I would be pushed. Let's hope there won't be bad surprises with the condition of the tsuba – which does show a bit of corrosion in the pictures – or with the taxes... Does anyone here have experience with getting Buyee to use the proper description and tariff code for antiques?

This said, am I correct in assuming that this tsuba represents a rice bale?

• Like 5

On 10/17/2022 at 2:10 PM, francois2605 said:

In the Buyee interface, you get to choose how to describe the package via a drop down list. There's an entry "Antique" in the list.

If I remember correctly, you can do it upon choosing the shipping method 

Turns out there is no "Antique" in the list, but if you choose "Other" you can enter your own text. I went for "Antique iron ornament HS 97069000", because I was afraid that "fitting" alone would sound too ambiguous and "sword fitting" (or "sword guard") would invite trouble. We'll see how it works out...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The style of this one from eBay is somewhat familiar, and it is papered Hozon to 宜寿 (Yoshitoshi?). Could it be another student that is missing from Sesko's list?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0c0ff93c4b37d5b326faac82a8317d7d.jpg

P.S. I noticed that there is another tsuba with this signature earlier in the thread:

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/32300-tatsutoshi-students/page/2/#comment-404969

P.P.S. I also noticed that the same tsuba is sold at a much lower price on Mercari, a Japanese direct-sale site. The eBay ad might be from one of those parasites who re-sell at inflated prices items they don't yet own.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, Surfson said:

That page from Markus' book indicates that Akao and Ito are similar lineages, which resolves my earlier questions.  I like the work a lot.

While trying to identify the 宜寿 mentioned above, I noticed a detail that may be relevant here:

The Ito/Ido school that according to Sesko's Genealogies was founded by Tatsutoshi has a short "o", and is written 井戸 . It is not clear to me whether this is the name of a place or of a family.

In contrast, the Itō in Bushū-Itō school has a long "o" (indeed, it is sometimes transcribed as "Itoh", "Itoo", "Itou"), and it is written 伊藤 . This appears to be the family name of the school's founder, see also this site.

Thus, it may be that the two schools are not related after all. I wonder if some more-knowledgeable member can clarify...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

I like that one a lot! Very elegant! If it was not signed, I would have guessed it to be AKAO.

Your guess would have been justified, since Tatsutoshi's "Ido" school is supposed to be an offshoot of the Akao school (see the genealogy towards the end of the first page of this thread).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This appears to be Tatsunao’s most common motif, as you may see by earlier posts in this thread. I had to google what momiji means (something like “red leaves” or more likely just “maple”), I can’t say if this is how the motif is usually called. Finally, I can’t see yahoo! auctions directly either, I use buyee as a proxy site (see this link).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...