Some recent aquisitions

Oshy

Just sharing some of my recent acquisitions over the past couple months while being stuck home. Thanks to Covid I have too much time on my hands and its really reeking havok on my bank account...

Apologies on the poor cell phone pictures, il be working on individual shots soon.

post-5297-0-41457200-1591148993_thumb.jpg

post-5297-0-37315000-1591149007_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thank you all for the kind words! As they say, so much better in hand, I hope to capture in detail with my Nikon soon.

Most of these are from Dale Miner's collection being consigned through Andrew Quirt. I live 5 minutes from Andrew and just couldn't help myself on several occasions when I was over parusing his inventory. Jakushi in upper right and massive tachi are from Elliot while the Shoami Daisho and Haruta plum tree(NBTHK hozan)in the upper left are from David Easley.

Very nice ! I count 8 of them that I really like.

I think you're very fortunate to be close to Andy because you get to see the tsubas for what they really are. I recognize some of Andy's tsubas (I regularly visit his website) and they look better in your pictures than on the website. I know that usually pictures don't do justice to the item being sold but it's always tricky to guess what the item will look like when you have it in hands.

Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Board Members would like to comment about the above appealing collection which I presume has been put together in recent times.

.Are the pickings slimmer now than say ten or twenty years ago or is the supply source still able to throw up good old (and what is old?) pieces as we see here ?

No doubt the 'pick of the crop', the masterpieces are well and 'jelously' held in top collections and museums but it appears to me that quite good honest well made pieces are still available ? But maybe my opinion of what represents 'good honest well made pieces' is a bit astray .

An English dealer in high quality weaponry made the comment that a vast amount of goods/weapons of all qualities will appear on the market following a war including old family treasures either sold by family members or by someone who has 'liberated' them.  Probably following financial collapses and health pandemics too ?

And then there are the collections that become available upon the passing of a collector which frees up money for their family and frees up items for other collectors.

But the question was, if you long term collectors care to offer your opinion - has the availability of good tsuba etc diminished do you think ?

Roger j

• Like 1

Hi Roger,

I only recently started picking up tsubas on the side saving most of the budget for blades. I spent almost $3k on what you see here plus a couple other new ones, so they represent the entry level market that's readily available but from my perspective there are plenty in the middle to higher end as well if you know where to look. As noted above, it also helps haveing the luxury to live a few minutes away from Andrew Quirt so I can paruse his NihontoUS inventory in person(some of which isn't listed online).

Here individual, closer and more detailed pictures of most of my current tsuba collection.

https://imgur.com/a/KfgmGY1

• Like 1

5th generation of Kinai, circa 1825 at a guess the detail appears fine.its a later one IMHO,but unusually beautiful in the purity of it's design which is executed in positive and negative silhouette finished with fine lines of surface engraving....but hard to say without it in hand.

Ive seen similar attributed to the same gen.please bear in mind my screen is five inches and I've no computer.

I wouldn't normally be turned by just any Kinai.seen hundreds and they are not my taste but this is the exception

Thank you for the kind words Adam, I will keep your interest in mind but don't hold your breath for anytime soon :)

I too was drawn to the clean, crisp and fine carving work as well as the high contrast of the dark patina to well retained gold work (all of which comes out better in hand).

Thank Mark, il admit my wife helped me take them with her fancy Nikon  :). Also you hit the nail on my intentions to try and collect a decent example of each style/school/era. I figure it will help me learn more of what I enjoy before dropping bigger bucks in individuals.

Talking about wreaking havoc.

Many years ago the Japanese government threatened to withdraw their guarantee to back up any funds individuals might hold in failing banks.

It was at that time that I started to compare the value of cash in the bank and a collectible item in hand. If neither are guaranteed, which would give me more pleasure? (I had 5,000 USD just sitting there.) It was a no-brainer. Only Uncle Scrooge would enjoy a handful of filthy banknotes, or a row of zeros on a computer screen. I walked into the antique sword and gun shop... and listened to the honeyed voice of the Banto explaining what goodies they had for sale.  :Drool:

• Like 3

Hey Mike,

That is a good way to achieve an understanding of differences between schools. While not the same as "owning one", a couple of good books (like Tsuba Kanshoki, or the Sasano Silver Book) can provide great information and help distill future interest. Both books can be had for the cost of one nice tsuba.  Iron and patina, of course, are best seen in hand.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..