Kantei fun

Surfson

Hi All.  First, I have to admit that I make no claim to skill in kantei when it comes to kodogu, though I am trying to fix that before my memory becomes totally shot.  I saw this tsuba at an auction and thought it was interesting.  It is signed and papered.  I would not have guessed the school, though once I saw the mei it made sense.  I would love to hear what your guesses are and why.  If you saw it at the auction and already know from that, please just watch along.  But if you didn't, and have some thoughts about it, please join in.  The dimensions in mm are 89X83X4, so it is pretty large.  Cheers, Bob

post-620-0-51056100-1590922970_thumb.png

post-620-0-78317500-1590922981_thumb.png

post-620-0-97482900-1590922994_thumb.png

Surfson wrote:

> Hi All.  First, I have to admit that I make no claim to skill in kantei when it comes to kodogu, though I am trying to fix that before my memory becomes totally shot.

Why, what a perfect description for this old curmudgeon!!!  So I scrolled down and saw Sebastien's KINAI call.  To respond to Robert's invitation, my first memory ripple through popped up KINAI, but blossoms weren't their forte nor fish.  Next comes one of the CHOSHU schools...

BaZZa.

EDIT: Should have added I do like it.

• Like 1

I like it too Bazza, and I bet it feels really good in hand with that size.  I have some photos of the papers and signature that I will post later in the day today.  

As an aside to those outside the US, we have been under siege from protestors who became rioters here in Chicago and other large US cities over the death of a defenseless black man at the hands of a police officer that was caught on video.  We live in the middle of downtown and could see lots of cops and protestors going at it.  The protestors also looted and burned stores, destroyed lots of cop cars and other cars and generally fought with the police.  Hopefully it will not continue tonight.

In my view, that Yamakichibei is far, far away from being a Shodai work.  Since we're in a "kantei thread" here, I'll say that I count at least twelve details in this tsuba that make it wrong for Shodai, and that's at least twelve. 

As for tsuba #2 here, my guess is Kamiyoshi. 

• Like 1

I don't really know much about late Higo, so no idea which generation on the Kamiyoshi.  As far as having looked already, well, I saw the listing, but didn't open it, since the tsuba held no interest for me.  I just default to "Kamiyoshi" when a piece looks late and Hayashi-esque.  ;-)   Oh, and I have no idea on the first tsuba Bob posted here... :)

Nice deflection...  great pivot... bet you've been binging 'Spin City'... !

#1 - let's just say I'm more into #2...

As usual, I agree with Doc Klein.

Still, I not crazy about Kamiyoshi and don't own any.

Sebastion's guess of Hayashi Tohachi wasn't bad. It does feel a Kamiyoshi echo of Tohachi's 'pressed flowers' type work.

And I too miss 'Spin City'.

Hahaha, I've been putting some listings on ebay all day (mostly selling an old baseball bat collection since I have no interest and we need space...) and came back to this thread just now.  Thanks for moderating Pete!  So, if it's not already clear, the first one is Kinai and is signed Echizen Ju, Kinai saku.  The second one is Kamiyoshi Fukanobu and has TH papers.  Cheers, Bob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..