Gassan School

Wow David, nice Sadakazu. I add as my contribution, my 1936 Sadakatsu. It ticked many of my boxes, being made by Sadakatsu himself before his son started making and signing swords under the Sadakatsu name, and having the Ayasugi hada, for which he is known.  

By the way David, is that a Gassan style habaki? 

post-3858-0-36551900-1590549809_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-18818600-1590549823_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-89082900-1590549836_thumb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 1

My contribution, a recent Enomoto Sadayoshi acquisition thats currently in route to Tirado for shirasaya.

Unique specs and characteristics, which happen to align with my personal taste, were requested by Iaido/Kendo master Mr. Sekiguchi who originally commissioned the piece to celebrate his 6th Dan back in the 80s.

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/as18465-%E5%88%80%EF%BC%9A%E6%98%AD%E5%92%8C%E4%B8%99%E5%AF%85%E7%A7%8B%E6%B9%A7%E6%B0%B4%E5%BF%83%E8%B2%9E%E5%90%89%E4%BD%9C%E7%84%A1%E9%91%91%E6%9F%BB-katanashowa-hinoe-tora-yusuishin-sadayoshi-sakumukansa

post-5297-0-40814300-1590583858_thumb.png

post-5297-0-93226500-1590583885_thumb.png

post-5297-0-25135000-1590584017_thumb.png

post-5297-0-04911700-1590584026_thumb.png

• Like 10

Sadakatsu blades

Couple of quick scans - 

The kogarasu maru style is in full ayasugi hada - made to commemorate 2600 years of Japanese empire, 1940  ( Hozon papers )

post-52-0-56864400-1590874496_thumb.jpeg

The shinogi-zukuri also shows ayasugi particularly at opposite ends - made in july 1942 as a commission for the Sumitomo Banking Corporation ( Tokubetsu Hozon  papers )

post-52-0-17686700-1590874477_thumb.jpeg

Both still in original polish ,both with Gassan habaki.

Sorry for poor quality.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a yoroidoshi tanto by (Gassan) Sadahide.

https://www.nihonto.com/the-dewa-gassan-school-%E5%87%BA%E7%BE%BD%E6%9C%88%E5%B1%B1%E7%B3%BB/

For further Dewa Gassan info, with Sadahide katana photo (copied below) see link.

Quote: The blade shown above is a beautiful katana by Gassan Sadahide (月山貞秀).  Sadahide (貞秀) was a student of Gassan Sadayoshi (月山貞吉) and a contemporary of Gassan Sadakazu (月山貞一).  His works are much scarcer that those of his contemporary, Sadakazu (貞一).  This blade bears the typical characteristics taught to Sadahide (貞秀) by his teacher Gassan Sadayoshi (月山貞吉).  His given name was Sugimoto Kônoshin (杉本廣之進) and his original kuni was Dewa (出羽). This sword bears a sayagaki by Tanobe sensei that reads as follows:

Sesshu Amasaki Ju Unzen-shi Sadahide in a six-character signature and dated Ansei 2 nen (1856). Sword was custom ordered by Konishi Yukiya.  Sadahide was a student of Gassan Sadayoshi.  This sword has a magnificent appearance because of its shape and dimensions.  It exhibits a thick suguha with kinsuji. The deki is highly dignified.  Length is 2 shaku 3 sun 8 bu.

Sayagaki signed by Tanzan Hendo (pseudonym or art name of Tanobe Michihiro) in the year of the horse 2014.

The actual signature on the sword is Unzenshi Sadahide Tsukuru (雲仙子貞秀作).  The ura is dated Ansei Ni Nen Ni Gatsu Kichi Nichi (安政二年二月吉日) (Made on a lucky day in February of 1856).  Tame Yukiya Konishi Kun Kitaeru Kore (為雪屋小西君鍛之) (This was forged for Mr. Yukiya Konishi).

This sword is an excellent example of the Dewa Gassan school.  As noted, the nagasa is 72.2 cm or 28 7/16 inches.  It has a shallow tori sori and an extended kissaki.  Overall it is a grand sugata as was typical of Sadayoshi (貞吉) and his students.  The hamon is a hoso-suguha with a bright nioi guchi that is covered in nie.  There are kinsuji and other hataraki within the hamon.  The hada is a vibrant mokume and there are areas of what can only be called a form of ayasugi.  The nakago is beautifully finished and elegantly signed.

It is interesting to know that the person who ordered this blade was a merchant from the Konishi family.  Certainly, before the waning of the Samurai era no one except a member of the Samurai class could have owned and carried a blade of this length.  The Konishi family was well established as merchants who moved from Kyoto to Osaka around this time (Ansei). The Konishi family business began with pharmaceuticals and expanded into alcohol.  The family business still exists today.  Some of their early buildings have been preserved as historically significant buildings.

Sadahide-1.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Was your foolishness taking a wire brush and making the nakago look all bright?

Its previous owner did so! because of his ignorance! and I have suggested repurchasing it in this condition! It is on its way to me now! The above photos were taken from previous owners

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..