The works of Gassan Sadakazu

Thanks Ed for sharing the link.  I have a sword very similar to the last tachi discussed, which is an utsushi of Masamune.  I read somewhere that he practiced making this sword three or four times and picked the best one to give to the emperor at the coronation.  I assume that I got one of the warmup blades.  

Uwe,

Beautiful, but is it SADAKAZU II and not SADAKAZU I???  The OP's link is to SADAKAZU I and I thought that was the theme of the thread??  Or have I lost the plot??? (Lovely bottle of Shiraz with dinner...)

BaZZa.

• Like 2

I think that Uwe's posting is Sadakazu I, isn't it?  I think it says Teishitsu Gigein, which was only his designation.  

David, that is a real beauty and must have been made in the early 20th century.  When did the Minatogawa shrine/forge open?  For some reason I associate it with WWII.   I imagine it is very unusual to have the Minatogawa Mon on a Sadakazu blade!   Are there any others?  

Robert, it was made in 1888. It's brother, who I mentioned is in HWs book, is a photo from the Shinshinto Meikan.  The signifigance of the Kikisui, eludes me.

I also have a Sadakatsu, who's brother is also in HWs book.   This one has the Kikisui as a horimono on the blade with two other Kanji as Horimono on the other side of the blade.  I'm led to believe that, 6 blades were commissioned by the Minotagawa Jinja in 1933 and presented to senior naval officers.

• Like 1

Began with Sadayoshi, then Sadakazu, Sadakatsu, Sadamitsu ( Sadakazu 11).

David, do you mean that those are a progression of names a single smith went through, or are those a line of smiths?

Sorry for the Newbie questions! I just have the Sadakatsu kakihan in the Stamps document, and I'm trying to figure out if I've named it correctly, or if there was a succession of guys with slightly varied kakihan.

Bruce, to make things a bit more complicated, during his waning years, Sadakazu had a lot of help from his son, Sadakatsu.  I recall reading that the way the kakihan is done is a giveaway as to whether Sadakatsu was the actual maker, but can't confirm that without digging in the books.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

G'day Guys,

I have been going further down the Gassan Sadakazu/Sadakatsu rabbit hole. After a bit of time looking at the mei of Sadakazu and Sadakatsu you can distinguish between the shoshin Sadakazu's and the ones signed by Sadakatsu for his father. So far it looks like every sword made from Meiji 30 on was actually signed by (and perhaps made by) Sadakatsu. Many of these swords are also pretty much identical to blades Sadakatsu made and signed after his father's death. Many of the blades featured in this thread were actually signed by Sadakatsu. Here is an example of a blade made by Sadakatsu in 1921. I wonder if this was more of his marketing spin, the fact that he made and sold blades under his national treasure father's name, long after his father stopped actually playing a physical role in the production of blades?

Cheers,

Bryce

Sadakatsu nakago.jpg

• Like 2