Sign in to follow this  
EdWolf

The works of Gassan Sadakazu

Thanks Ed for sharing the link.  I have a sword very similar to the last tachi discussed, which is an utsushi of Masamune.  I read somewhere that he practiced making this sword three or four times and picked the best one to give to the emperor at the coronation.  I assume that I got one of the warmup blades.  

Here are a couple shots of mine, including the sayagaki by Hon'ami.  

post-620-0-39352100-1590450479_thumb.png

post-620-0-87221400-1590450490_thumb.png

• Like 9

Uwe,

Beautiful, but is it SADAKAZU II and not SADAKAZU I???  The OP's link is to SADAKAZU I and I thought that was the theme of the thread??  Or have I lost the plot??? (Lovely bottle of Shiraz with dinner...)

BaZZa.

• Like 2

Nah..it's still a great link and worth checking out.

• Like 1

I think that Uwe's posting is Sadakazu I, isn't it?  I think it says Teishitsu Gigein, which was only his designation.  

David, that is a real beauty and must have been made in the early 20th century.  When did the Minatogawa shrine/forge open?  For some reason I associate it with WWII.   I imagine it is very unusual to have the Minatogawa Mon on a Sadakazu blade!   Are there any others?  

Some shots of the hada of the one I posted that is an utsushi of Masamune.   Not your typical Gassan hada!

post-620-0-50211300-1590519325_thumb.png

post-620-0-62761700-1590519335_thumb.png

post-620-0-68462100-1590519346_thumb.png

post-620-0-00807100-1590519358_thumb.png

• Like 3

While we are on the subject.... A tanto made around the same time.

post-620-0-87197400-1590519579_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-13330400-1590519590_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-33951200-1590519600_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-55000000-1590519611_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Robert, it was made in 1888. It's brother, who I mentioned is in HWs book, is a photo from the Shinshinto Meikan.  The signifigance of the Kikisui, eludes me.

I also have a Sadakatsu, who's brother is also in HWs book.   This one has the Kikisui as a horimono on the blade with two other Kanji as Horimono on the other side of the blade.  I'm led to believe that, 6 blades were commissioned by the Minotagawa Jinja in 1933 and presented to senior naval officers.

• Like 1

I am perplexed with the distinct variance's in the Sadakazu mei.  Maybe my eyes are on the bum?  Peace.

Tom D.

I am perplexed with the distinct variance's in the Sadakazu mei.  Maybe my eyes are on the bum?  Peace.

Tom D.

I agree. Even his kakihan isn't standardized.

post-3487-0-81020500-1590556112_thumb.jpg

Ed, forgive my gross ignorance, but are Sadakazu & Sadakatsu just two attempts to spell the same name? Fuller lists him as Gassan Sadakatsu.

Thanks!

Began with Sadayoshi, then Sadakazu, Sadakatsu, Sadamitsu ( Sadakazu 11).

David, do you mean that those are a progression of names a single smith went through, or are those a line of smiths?

Sorry for the Newbie questions! I just have the Sadakatsu kakihan in the Stamps document, and I'm trying to figure out if I've named it correctly, or if there was a succession of guys with slightly varied kakihan.

post-355-0-35297100-1590558030_thumb.jpg

Sadakazu II called himself Sadaichi out of respect for Sadakazu I (same kanji, different reading)

• Like 1

Bruce, to make things a bit more complicated, during his waning years, Sadakazu had a lot of help from his son, Sadakatsu.  I recall reading that the way the kakihan is done is a giveaway as to whether Sadakatsu was the actual maker, but can't confirm that without digging in the books.

• Like 3

Come visit us in Chicago sometime Ken.  I would love to show you the collection and get your thoughts.  Cheers, Bob