Opinion on gunto sword.

Hi Michalku, and welcome.

I think this sword isn’t traditionally made and is a medium grade Showato. There seems to be a stamp on the nakago. The push button may have been replaced but not necessarily. Overall, it looks like an okay Showato and real though I can’t tell you whether the signature is real (yet, it probably is).

Now, the price. I think it is too expensive. Of course, WW2 swords in Europe aren’t as easy to find as in the US, and that’s something to take into consideration. I think the price should be around $ 1200 for this sword, not much more, maybe less. To that, you would have to add some 25% custom fees plus shipping ($ 90 approximately), so the choice is yours in the end . buying from Europe will help you avoid custom issues, though.

Finally, but I don’t think it is the case here, be careful, because there are excellent fakes made in Poland!

By the way, here’s one for sale on this board. Roughly the same quality:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/31146-seki-gunto-fukumoto-kanemune-80000/

• Like 3

Hello Michalku,

I hate to see people getting “ tucked up “ or should I say ripped off... so be careful on that site..or better,don’t use it until you are a bit more experienced....You get some fantastic buys on the for sale section here and even reputable Militaria dealers will match that price...Only my opinion of course and collecting is a big learning curve..

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 3

It's signed, Takehisa (often has the W stamp). I think there could be a debate on whether this is a Gendaito or a Showato.

Agreed, better pictures would be nice to see the blade.

Not sure what no kirimei means for this period.

I also see damage by habaki...

As said before, it is priced high for condition, that these photos allow us to see.

Hello Dave,

Yes,not the neatest of signatures although I like the shape on the nakago.There is one on Gunstar for sale by the same smith...a better value sword in far better condition when compared to the one in this topic..

Regards,

Paul..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..