Wtb. Muromachi period tachi tsuba

Chishiki

Mark,

I think you are right that it was Muromachi period. The seller described it as "Kamakura period". Still, I don't think it was a very good piece.

The same seller has another up, but I suspect it is a revival piece or that the silver fukurin was added later. It doesn't look right to me.

I've owned 3 over the years. My favorite is now owned by one of our other NMB members, who rebuffed my efforts to buy it back pre-Covid 19.

Picture attached from when I owned it. If he wants me to remove it- I will. 

It was heck of a lot better than the Yahoo!Japan one you posted.

Should I see another, I will send you a PM. I enjoy them very much to study, but no longer wish to own them.

post-44-0-33731900-1590275128_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The one on Yahoo!Japan was rather small at 6.5 cm or so? I'd shown it to a friend, but neither of us was interested in buying it.

The NMB owned O-tachi tsuba of which I shared a picture was about 1cm thick and HEAVY, with a weight around 13.5 oz (400-450grams?). That was about 3x to 4x the weight of an Edo tsuba. For current reasons, I'm no longer actively collecting. Still, if the owner of that O-tachi wanted to trade with me- it is one I wouldn't mind owning again. I only know of about 5 or 6 good examples like it in the ownership of non Japanese. Outside of books, I have never seen one of the original full koshirae. Another stealth NMB member has had the pleasure of handling a few of them in Japan.

• Like 1

Hi Curren.  The reason I am wanting this style of tsuba is to complete a possible muromachi period koshirae.  (Just arrived today.  Research starting).   Tsuka and saya matching..just need a tsuba.   My focus is more on armour these days but sometimes you just have to make a move and hope for the best.   The size of that tsuba on yahoo is about right for me.  Mine is a shortish koshirae.    Mark

The size of that tsuba on yahoo is about right for me.

Then I will keep that in mind. The smaller ones are more common.

If making a koshirae, please consider that these tsuba often seem to have had large seppa (larger than the tsuka crossection) and that the seppa seemed to have a continuation of the tsuba design on them.

Then I will keep that in mind. The smaller ones are more common.

If making a koshirae, please consider that these tsuba often seem to have had large seppa (larger than the tsuka crossection) and that the seppa seemed to have a continuation of the tsuba design on them.

A collector friend told me about the design regarding the seppa.  I guess finding a tsuba with seppa from the muromachi period is mission impossible.   We can wish and hope.  Mark

I guess finding a tsuba with seppa from the muromachi period is mission impossible.

Appropriate seppa can be made. They also pop up. I had this tsuba, and another collector ended up with matching seppa.

The tsuba had been sold on to a collector in Japan before I saw the seppa here in the West. Otherwise, I would have made effort to reunite them.

post-44-0-09716600-1590421653_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-77119000-1590421690_thumb.jpg

Appropriate seppa can be made. They also pop up. I had this tsuba, and another collector ended up with matching seppa.

The tsuba had been sold on to a collector in Japan before I saw the seppa here in the West. Otherwise, I would have made effort to reunite them.

Thanks Curran.  I’m really enjoying the hunt.  It’s just a matter of time.   I do have a jeweller who works for a reasonable rate.  He will be my contact for making seppa.   I do keep thinking of the tsuba you sold to a member here.  Such an interesting piece.   Let him know he has a home for it if he wants to move it on :)

Mark - try contacting Boris via his webpage:  https://www.tosoguya.com/

This is his primary area of study and he is highly qualified to be able to assist you. 

Feel free to mention my referral.  

Thanks Pete.  I have read Boris’ contributions here, a real depth of knowledge in early fittings.  Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..