Sign in to follow this  
Ray Singer

Faint sayagaki

I would put this at a longshot, but can anyone here offer suggestions on the left side of this sayagaki? I have put a few similar to perhaps bring us in the right ballpark. I would not reject that the lower left is a date, but appreciate hearing any options that I should consider.

post-457-0-59350000-1590161297_thumb.jpg

Additional photos, and adjusted to the best of my ability to increase contrast and visibility.

post-457-0-90843600-1590161305_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-71754600-1590161313_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-95921900-1590161317_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-27764800-1590161326_thumb.jpg

Hi Ray I suggest that you try a UV light. You can often see more. Photoshop has a nice feature control/command i gives you an inverse view.

• Like 2

Ray, sometimes if you moisten it slightly it will increase the contrast. That is a tough one , hard to get a pattern recognized when it is not there. I think the 2nd and 3rd characters look like Mei-o or Mei-toku to me?

• Like 1

The file size is too small. Usually I would use the highpass filter and then change the blend mode to soft light. Dodge/burn can also help. But with 66,9 kb it is simply not possible.

Uwe G.

post-699-0-59495100-1590184606_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Left side looks like a name

杉田

Sugita Kiichi (or something ending with ichi/kazu)

• Like 1

Hi Uwe, I will take higher resolution photos and share. Also will try those methods.

And Steve, thank you! Was not something I had considered.

• Like 1