Norikatsu Katsumura Nihonto Authenticity

Z8mtj

Hello, I am a new member to this board and am trying to learn as much as I can on this topic.

My grandfather left me this Shin Gunto when he passed. I believe it was a bit neglected before, and I made efforts to care for it when I would visit.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this Shin Gunto is an authentic Norikatsu Katsumura blade?

http://imgur.com/gallery/h5xIa1a

Thank you in advance, and please pardon my inexperience.

Terran W.

• Like 3

Norikatsu was one of the better smith........

A close-up picture  of the blade would be very helpful to see the Hada / Hamon.

Only a signature does not make it easy to form an opinion whether a blade could be real or not.

• Like 1

Hello Terran,

Nice looking sword! Norikatsu is my favorite smith. His signatures varied between standard block style and grass script ones. Like another poster wrote, a good hada picture is the best way to tell, his nie laden masame hada is quite distinct. Your mei seems just a touch thick for his works that I have seen, but he is a somewhat rare smith to see examples of. I have put your mei side by side with one I have that is verified:

post-4009-0-05014900-1589930065_thumb.jpg

can't make out the date. can you post a close up of the date?  Comparing signatures with known genuine ones it is best to try and find a good example dated near yours. As a smith changes his mei like our signatures change knowing the date would help

• Like 1

@Mark and others – I helped Terran translate this on Reddit. The full signature is:

• Oite Tōto Koishikawa kan Suifu jū Katsumura Norikatsu saku kore 於東都小石川舘水府住勝村徳勝作之 (Made by Katsumura Norikatsu, resident of Suifu, at Koishikawa manor in Tokyo)
  • Keiō gannen hachigatsubi · gō Shōri [no] Ken 慶應元年八月日 • 号勝利釼 (A day in the eighth month of the first year of Keiō (= 1865) · named Sword [of] Victory)

Terran,

Capturing the hada can be difficult, especially when the polish isn't pristine, but I believe I can indeed see nie-laden masame hada in your recent photos which is a very good sign. Masame in general is not the most common style of hada and is a trademark for this smith.

Although I do find this signature thicker and clumsier than most I have seen for him, as I said before I still do not want to rule this one out as genuine, and these hada photos are a big step towards making me think that might be the case.

As Ken states, the final word will have to come from Shinsa.

• Like 3

Vermithrax16,

I added a picture with a bit more detail for a side to side. Thank you very much for providing the picture.

Would you happen to have any more?

http://imgur.com/gallery/dEvfxwO

I have a lot but what would help us more is if you can get a good picture of your swords hada and style. Take a glancing photo in a dark room, flash enabled.

Here is the dated side picture of my Norikatsu. Like member Ken said, only a shinsa team can say for sure, but I don't think they are a match:

post-4009-0-86869200-1589938591_thumb.jpg

Full reading of signature and date:

Suifu-jū Katsumura Norikatsu kore o saku (⽔府住勝村徳勝作之) ‒ “Made
by Katsumura Norikatsu, resident of Suifu (the government seat of Mito)”
Keiō sannen hachigatsu hi (慶応三年⼋⽉⽇) ‒ “On a day of the eighth
month, Keiō three (1867)

Norikatsu masame hada:

post-4009-0-57209100-1589938620_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay, here are some pictures that should show the hada better:

https://imgur.com/gallery/gXzdcb4

Also, how would one go about getting a shinsa appraisal?

Oh! This is promising!! I see some great masame and nie. 

I think NBTHK shinsa will not work, as shipping restrictions right now with Japan are bad. This sword will need a polish, so that's on the few here in the US. You need to decide what you want to do with the sword and how long to see it through. Worth it IMO from what I have seen.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it!

At this point my intentions are preservation. I was told to take the blade out of the shin gunto handle and sheath for this purpose, would anyone have any storage advice for a bare blade? Cost does not matter much to me, as I refuse to let it deteriorate.

Dear Terran.

If you are going to store the blade outside the koshirae then you really need to have shirasaya made.  Each shirasaya is individually made to fit a given sword and so that makes it a reasonably expensive option. Given the possibilities with this blade you need to have it made by someone who knows what they are doing, I am sure that US members will let you know who that could be.

I guess that a lot of collectors would tell you to have the blade sent to Japan where it could have a polish, new habaki and shirasaya made before submitting for authentication papers.  In the end that is the only way that you are going to know what you have there.

Whatever you do it's a very nice sword.  Worth looking after in its own right as well as because of your family history.

Enjoy!

All the best.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice gimei to me. I compared the mei with mine Suifu ju nin minamoto Tokukatsu saku kore dated 3rd yr. of bunkyu  1864. cutting edge 80cm. Same kaji. Besides, the kiri is haphazardly cut, not precise. Please do, send it to NBTHK when you get a chance.  If I am wrong, I'll take you out to Starbucks. But, it is still is a very nice sword.

Thank you for showing it.  Peace.

Tom D.

• Like 2

Terran,

You have generated some very good conversation. Thank you. IMHO your sword looks very interest and I would bet that it is legit. But as others have said it really and truly deserves shinsa. It is also in nice shape. You and your grandfather deserve commendation.

Peter

Let me ask where in Nebraska you live. Before moving a couple of years back, we could have been neighbors

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..