Favorite modern day smiths?

Oshy

Living or not, curious what everyone's favorite smiths are from the 20th century. Feel free to share any examples  :)

I've never paid much attention to them until just recently. Minamoto Moriyoshi is going to be an obvious choice but ive also found Shibata Ka's story very interesting. The idea that he was so successful being self taught from studying of his own collection is just fascinating! 

https://yuhindo.com/shibata-ka/

• Like 2

Kojima Hiroshi (4th Naohiro of the Taikei Naotane lineage, signs his swords Kei'un).

Kojima makes functional swords and only seldom tries to copy old works. He has his onw style, while keeping "the spirit" of old sword. His hada is usually tight, his blades have utsuri. Hamon ranges from flamboyant gunome to suguha. I have seen a sword by him quenched without clay - it looked like an Ichimonji. 

The site of his shop contains a wealth of information:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/

I own 5 swords by Naohiro and they are the only modern swords I have.

• Like 4

+1:  :)  Any member from the Enomoto family: father Sadayoshi or his sons Tatsuyoshi and Sadahito.  They consistently produce(d) very good quality work and somehow they seem a bit underrated, so you can often find their work for a decent price (in my opinion).

• Like 2

Funny you brought up Enomoto Sadayoshi, Alex and Wim, I saw that auction posting and was blown away by how good that sword looks. I almost posted it on here to make sure someone bought it!

And Jean, I keep telling myself that I need to get one of his knives - they look great. I spent a day with him at his kagiya last year, as I know many others here have, and had a great time.

+1:  :)  Any member from the Enomoto family: father Sadayoshi or his sons Tatsuyoshi and Sadahito.  They consistently produce(d) very good quality work and somehow they seem a bit underrated, so you can often find their work for a decent price (in my opinion).

Here's an example by Sadayoshi actually for sale at Aoi:

https://www.aoijapan.com/katanashowa-hinoe-tora-yusuishin-sadayoshi-sakumukansa/

I bought a tanto from Sadahito a few years ago, by way of Chris B. Sadahito did the sayagaki for his fathers tanto that he was selling, but to my surprise the tanto came with gift, he made a letter opener knife for me, fully signed. I might never have a sword made, but that was good enough for me, top dude.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..