Need help with tōrokushō and mei translation

Alexey

Dear nihonto connoisseurs!

Could you please help me with the documents translation and mei identification?

Unfortunately, I do have only low-resolution images of the sword passport (tōrokushō) and nakago.

Here they are

post-5396-0-29143400-1589728380_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-07462100-1589728393_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-97639000-1589728407_thumb.jpg

The seller interprets this mei as ‘izumi-no-kami-kanesada’ but I would strongly doubt in this. Also I’m not sure that the tōrokushō data really correspond this sword. All Kanesadas’ signatures that I have found were dissimilar to this mei. When trying to read the mei using hiragana/katakana symbols in google translate, the only reasonable variant I find is Noriyuki. Maybe the mei is just corrupted here?

Dear Alexey.

Welcome to NMB.  When you get a moment please add your name to your post, you can set it up automatically in your profile.  Your sword does appear to be signed Kanesada as does the torokusho.  There were many signing with this name and yours might well be a Mino smith.  Have a look here, http://www.johnstuart.biz/new_page_14.htm, please note I am not suggesting that your sword is by this smith but at least it is a Mino smith signing with the same kanji.

Does the sword have any papers?  interesting that it is signed tachi mei.  When it arrives we would all love to see some more photographs.

All the best.

• Like 5

Dear Geraint,

Thank you for a warm greeting and a detailed response. Your suggestions encourage optimism.

Let me share all the information I have regarding the sword. Indeed, the seller told about Mino province and also mentioned Meiō era (years 1492-1501). The sword doesn’t have NBTHK papers, only tōrokushō. I was provided with the high-resolution photos of the fully assembled sword (attached) but not a bare nakago.

post-5396-0-39946300-1589736006_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-52752300-1589736031_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-68806000-1589736050_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-58330000-1589736071_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-48814900-1589736108_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-87747500-1589736089_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-67873200-1589736152_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-50270100-1589736172_thumb.jpgpost-5396-0-15801800-1589736207_thumb.jpg

Please do not be confused with the tsuba shape. It is not a nazi symbol but a Japanese manji.

I definitely do like the tsuka and saya designs. However, it seems that both saya and tsuba are of modern production (not sure about the tsuka). But the most intriguing question is a blade authenticity :)

Alexey, your photos are quite good for someone new to this field. Please take a few shots of the completely bare blade, including the habaki. For now, we don't need to see anything else.

The sugata (shape) will indicate the age, the patterns on the steel (jihada & hamon) will indicate the school, & we can see if the signature (mei) matches with the rest of the blade. Even then, without sending it off to shinsa (Japanese evaluation team), we won't know, for sure, but we'll have lots of opinions.

The tsuka has no sign of wear, or body oils, so it's likely modern. Harder to tell on the saya, but probably also modern.

• Like 1

If it is 'Izumi no Kami' Kanesada, it is worth noting that in his early and middle years he signed 濃州関住 兼定作(or造) No-Shu Seki Ju Kanesada, or just Niji Mei Kanesada, ...but why is there such a large gap between the two characters? 

• Like 2

Alexey, your photos are quite good for someone new to this field. Please take a few shots of the completely bare blade, including the habaki. For now, we don't need to see anything else.

The sugata (shape) will indicate the age, the patterns on the steel (jihada & hamon) will indicate the school, & we can see if the signature (mei) matches with the rest of the blade. Even then, without sending it off to shinsa (Japanese evaluation team), we won't know, for sure, but we'll have lots of opinions.

The tsuka has no sign of wear, or body oils, so it's likely modern. Harder to tell on the saya, but probably also modern.

Hi Ken,

Photos have been taken by the seller. I have not bought the sword yet, just intend to. At the moment the sword is located in Saint-Petersburg, so I cannot inspect it in person. I made a reservation, and am waiting for a moment to see it (now it is a bit hard to travel between cities due to quarantine).

Thank you for your recommendations. I'll ask the seller to photograph the full-length bare blade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..